Help smoker that wants to quit but is having trouble...

I am a smoker and I just found out I am pregnant. I want to quit and need to but I am looking for a safe way cause cold turkey isn't working... PLEASE HELP! I also am off my medication for depression and I am flipping out on everyone and hate myself for it. I teach young children and I dont want to accidentally go off on one of them. Please help before I go back to school!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just do it, i offed myself of my high dosage of antidepressants, quit smoking cold turkey after 10 years and quit drinking alcohol after a year long binge for this baby.

just do it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• A big thing taht helped me was I did a COMPLETE cleaning of my house. I bleached down the walls, shampooed the carpets and cloth furniture, washed all the clothes (clean & dirty), and cleaner out my car in the same way. You don't realize it, but there is nicotine all in that stuff and just smelling it an make it SOOO much harder to quit. Once I did that, my cravings went down a LOT and now I've been smokefree for over 3 years :)

Also, to help with the oral fixation, get some celery, carrots, peppermint sticks and similarly shaped things to much on when you start craving a cigarette. Carrots & ranch were a fav of mine, lol.
    Anonymous

• Oral fixation is the way to go- I smoked because I liked the feeling of something between my lips, and something in my hands. I am gonna say something your not supposed to say though, and I am sure I'll receive shit for it later, but one thing people forget is its not just the babies health you have to worry about, its your mental health as well. You just got off medication, and if your afraid being off that medication, and not smoking will effect your work life, social life, marriage, or the other children you may or may not have, sometimes its better to just CUT BACK, and not actually quit. I would rather see a pregnant woman/teacher maintain her mental health and smoke occasionally, than see her go off the wall, and cause problems for her at home, or work. JMO.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I wish I had a better answer for you, but work with your doctor on this one. I am currently 26weeks pregnant & my doctor is still working with my cut back on smoking. I was smoking 2 to 2 & a half packs a day when I found out I was pregnant, but my body doesn't do well with withdrawl so we had to take a slower approach. I was told by 3 different doctors it was either a slow cut back or the very high likelihood of miscarriage or severe fetal damage...more so than smoking itself (basically the pros of cutting down vs cold turkey were greater than the cons of smoking while pregnant, & by a long shot). But that isn't the same for everyone. Talk to your OB, as well as a health educator, & work out a plan that is right for you & your body & your baby. I wish you the best of luck!!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2009