Do you know about Yellow Labs new with Chickens & Cats?

We've lived here almost 23 years. When we moved it was very Quiet & Rural. Now we have A new Neighbor. I can tell because I hear loud new Barking. I heard its A Yellow lab. Its never been around chickens or Cats. Probably not Raccoons either. Anyway the Neighbor's next door Loved our Cats. Tried to get them to come in or accept food. They behaved and didn't Accept the Love offfered! Well She Died. The house sat vacant one year sadly. We miss them so Badly. Now mind you our Cats were used to going there. As was the Mother Raccoon & her Kits. That live in the wild here, but like hand outs & Cat food & treats! I hear the new neighbor dog has been around none of this! What Can I expect? We try to kep our cats in our yard of 6+ acres! I can't speak for the raccoon she has her own mind & business. Our chickens we keep fenced in or in sheds & coops. But Dogs have broken in before & killed an entire Flock! Any Suggestions or tips?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 4:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• wow girl, i understand the concern there. that lab just may be a problem. if there were any way to insure your cats stay closer to your home i would do that for at least 6 months until some of the tempation the dog has to come visit with the kitties.and maybe provide some outdoor safe places the cats can get into or under quickly that the dog can't reach.
    we had the same concern here when we moved. my cat was used to being around dogs but not the new dogs in this area. and sure enough the dogs came right over and ran him up the tree. luckily we have enough trees he always has a place to run up and hide.
    maybe your cats will sense the new dog danger and avoid the dog, or easily and quickly find a place to get away safely.
    the raccoons, well they are alot meaner than they look. i believe momma raccoon will take care of that dog!
    the coop, yes, have hubby check for areas that need reinforcement to keep a big dog out.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• ( duh)
    until some of the temptation the dog has to come visit the kitties is gone.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009