How is it?

If scripture can only be truly understood by those who are saved, why is it acceptable to answer questions with nothing but scripture?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have to admit that I've wondered the same thing myself. My uncle used to say that to me in an attempt to "save" me from being a wretched, heathen Catholic. In an attempt to be polite and really try to understand him I asked about his beliefs and he would only answer with scripture. When I would just stare at him he would use the argument that I will understand once I am saved. Well, why answer that way if you "know" I won't understand?! I agree with the Christians here that said  showing compassion is far more effective in spreading the Word than throwing out random Bible verses.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What did I miss? I worked late. Came on for awhile, and got back off. What happened to bring this up?
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• There's a question a ways down asking for how people feel about other beliefs. One person posted 3 answers consisting of nothing but scripture. If the question is about OTHER faiths, how on earth can you possibly answer it with scripture that they allegedly cannot comprehend without first being saved?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Oh, stvmen88, my dear,

Just keep clicking "Next Question in Category" and you'll find out.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'll answer as best I can. I guess that the reason we Christians answer questions with scripture, at least for me, is because I live by the Word of God. It is the Guide for my life. I believe every word of it,and use it in every aspect of my life,including answering questions on here. I carry a Bible in my purse,so I have one at all times with me, and for me,anyway, the Bible has the answer to any question I could ever have about anything. May have to search the scriptures,but they are there, I guarantee it. Yes, I can and do think for myself,and that's why I follow God's word so closely. I choose to exercise my free will to follow Him,and use His word as the Guide for my life. I love sharing scriptures with others,and the answers in the Bible make so much more sense than anything I could come up with. At least that's my perspective. Not really knowing what's going on, I hope that helps some.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks girls, I go check it out.
    stvmen88

• Ok, I did answer in that one, didn't know that's what this was all about. Does it also have to do with the anon in the post below this one? I read some of her responses. She is the type that gives us all a bad rep. Sorry on behalf of her,and all who talk like that. Although I shouldn't have to aplogize for someone else's rude and mean behavior.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Scripture can only be understood by those who are saved? I have never heard of that idea. I think people who are saved might appreciate it more but its understandable to everyone.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• See, I agree with you on that one nudge. Especially with all the versions,that bring the KJV into modern, understandable english.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Scripture can only be understood by those who are saved?

It's repeated here often, usually when someone points out a contradiction in them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009