How do I teach my kids respect?

I feel like my kids, ages 5 and 3, don't respect me. They dont listen, argue, stick their tongues out at me, and yell at me, just for starters. How do I teach them the right way to treat me?

michelle3881

Asked by michelle3881 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• By respecting them in all you do and say. Also by teaching them appropriate and respectful responses and, if necessary, giving them opportunities to practice practice practice. By ensuring that respect is shown to you by your husband or other adults, and that you show respect to everyone you meet as well. And when you are not showing respect to others, explain your actions to your children as to why you felt respect was not necessary.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree with JPsMommy, with the addition that if your children aren't respecting your rules, they need to suffer consequences; removal of priviledges, not getting to go on outings, not getting dessert, whatever will get through to them and make them understand that their actions have consequences.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 5:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Respect is a two way street. Kids learn by example.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009