Non Custodial Mothers

I've seen this issue in both ends of the spectrum. First, a mother who feels imprisoned by motherhood, wants to relive her youth, and deserts her family. Second, a mother who works multiple minimum wage jobs, with no family support, and sees the destruction on her kids (and wants a better life for her and her kids).

In either case (and in case only), do you believe that the best decision for the child is to not be in the care of the mother? Do you think that there is a double standard between men and women on behalf of parenthood?

today.msnbc.msn.com - Noncustodial mothers speak

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 4:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow! My Mom raised 3 kids on multiple minimum wage jobs. Daddy got a new family and didn't understand the whole child support thing. Mom turned out 3 successful kids! We all have college educations, spouses and children. We lead successful responsible lives with no help from the government.

It would be absurd to compare my mother to oh say my dad! He left us for his own selfish purposes. Again, wow!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My SS's mother didn't want to be a mother at 17, her family coerced her into keeping her son. She dropped him off with whoever would keep him for however long so, she could be a teenager. It destroyed him: he doesn't trust anyone especially women and he has a hardtime living in one place for a long time and he think eventually he will be passed off to another person. I think if a mom decides she doesn't want to be a mother she should give the child to the father and it should be easier for father going through the court system. It costs a lot of money for a custody hearing and it shouldn't be like that. You shouldn't need attorney's for that; each side should state their case and the judge should decide. It cost us 7,000 dollars to get my SS from his mother's family.
    I also think that when I father decides he can't handle being a father then he is called a deadbeat but, when a woman does it everyone feels sorry for her.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Second situation: I think the children should go to which ever parent can spend more time with them (as long as the parent is willing) and the other parent should get an unlimited amount of visitation with the children. All vacations should be scheduled 45 days in advance. And again it should be easier for the non custodial parent to go to court and cheaper. And there should be real consequences for not following the parenting plan and not paying child support.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009