breastfeeding; does it shed the pounds as quickly as people say?

I am a fitness trainer and my prego client will have a c section late august so I'm working on her post baby body plan now; she says that her friends have told her that breastfeeding for weight loss is pretty much a wives tale. What are your thoughts?

fitkids333

Asked by fitkids333 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It didn't help me at all...but that is not why I chose to BF anyway...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It helped me. I lost my baby weight pretty quickly.You need an extra 300-500 calories when breastfeeding.
    nichole579

Answer by nichole579 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• No... my doctor told me that breast feeding actually tells your body to hold onto the fat you have stored up because baby is getting all the good stuff and making your body think your starving. If that is someones only motivation for BF'ing they won't make it past the first week.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It does help, but it does not take it all away. A women that is breastfeeding should increase her calories by 200 plus the already 300 daily, so she should be eating a total of 500 extra calories compared to pre pregnancy calories. Of course this is the recommended amout and many women dont follow the guidelines and loss more weight than they should. Healthy choices, eating the recommended amount will give mom plenty of energy her body needs to work like it should plus drink lots of H20. Hope this helps you help her...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I don't know, but I think it helped me a lot. I am 4.5 mos. post baby, have been bf'ing full time since she was born and I am back to my exact pre-baby weight. I don't eat a lot, though. It's recommended to eat an extra 5oo calories a day and I def. don't do that, so I think that's why I lost the weight so fast. I have also always had a high metabolism, so I don't know how much that's a contributing factor.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It helps in the beginning. I lost 40 lbs. the first 2 months. Now I am at a stand still I ned to lose 30 more.
    Anonymous

• I think it helps but I also excersized 1/2 hr every other day once I was able. I was 183 before I was pregnant and am 174 now (my daughter is 4 mos). I had a c-section and am breastfeeding. I went to a breastfeeding class at the hospital that I gave birth at and they told me there that it would help with weight loss.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I've also been watching what I eat and eating healthier than I was before I got pregnant...and quit smoking.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• it does help, but your body will naturally hold on to the last 8-10lbs while you're BF'ing for the extra nutrition.
    I lost the last 8lbs soon after I stopped BF'ing my son.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm not sure its what did it, because I did stay active and fit while pregnant. But I wasback down to my prebaby weight when my daughter was 5 days old. I had gained 22 pounds total and she weighed 7 lbs 8 oz I haven't tried to diet at all it just fell off and now shes 6 months old and again with no dieting I'm down to 8 pounds less than when I got pregnant. So it can't hurt. and whoever said their dr. said it helped you hold the weight all the dr.s and nurses I talk,ed to on the labor and delivery floor said i would love BF because it would help me lose my baby weight.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009