how do you go about picking or even getting a pediatrician

the hospital said i need to have a pediatrician how do i pick one when my baby isnt even born yet

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Congratulations! Ask many people, even moms in the store
    MsCoffeeFrap

Answer by MsCoffeeFrap at 4:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Interviews!

Figure out the type of care you want (vaccinations or not, antibiotics or a more natural approach) and go in to see if you and the doctors views match.

I just moved so I'm having to do this ALL over again, lol.
    Anonymous

• I called local doctors that took babies, and did meet and greets with them, in fact I have one tonight at 5:15!!! lol Its a good way to go for me, my family has a lot of medical problems so I want the doctor for my son to take them all seriously and make sure those things are monitored from early on. Also the reason why my doctor told me I needed to have a pediatrician was because they preformed the Cir'cm but I found that MOST pediatricians unless associated with the hospital I plan on birthing at, does NOT come in to do the Cir'cm or health screens, so the hospital HAS to provide that.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• you can either

1. Ask everyone you know who there pedi is and why they like him/her
    2. ask your obgyn if she/he knows of a good pedi they usually know.
    3. find a few in the phone book and ask for interviews

With my son i just picked one ended up not likeing her so i changed to another one hopeing he would be better and he was!
    mom2twopreemies

Answer by mom2twopreemies at 4:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• one of my friends uses our doctor and recommended her. She said it was who her gyno took her kids to. If a doctor will take their kids they must be pretty good. I agree with thinking about your personality and your beliefs about the baby. I like a doctor who is open to different views but will tell it to me straight. I also like a dr who will take time with your child and in the interview process. One of our drs was great. she didnt have to ask questions about speech or walking..cause she would climb up and sit next to my dd and play and ask questions. Then she would walk in the all getting them stickers and all the while be checkin for how her feet were turned and her legs. I really liked her!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ooo also you can research it online you can get reviews on what ppl think about the pedi and also can see their certifications
    mom2twopreemies

Answer by mom2twopreemies at 4:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Ask other moms that is how I found mine. The first time I met him was the day my DD was born he came to the hospital and I just love him.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I got the names of ped.s from freinds. I interviewed them. My first ped. was great (medically). But as my breastfeeding issues came up, he actually told me he doesn't support breastfeeding past 6 months and that my baby was underweight b/c of it...i was shocked, b/c when i interviewed him, he was very supportive of my views on breastfeeding. I am for it obviously (my choice). I knew it was time to find another ped. I asked around again, but the first doctor i went to felt great about. The office even had a certified breastfeeding medical doctor there, so any concerns i had, she was available with answers, resources, and even poited me in the direction of a support group for mothers. It was exactly what i needed/wanted. And medically, they have been just as great. Moral of the story, don't stick with a ped. if they don't support your parenting. And my baby wasn't underwieght, he's grown up to be a very healthy.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009