why is breastfeeding so confusing?

the more i read about it the more i don't want to do it. i just went on kellymom.com bc y'all posted it but man look at all those rules

wouldn't formula be easier and sounds like its safer, its already got the vitamins in it, i wouldn't have to worry about eating 2700 calories a day and getting the right amounts of crap in my milk.

the more i read the less i want to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are no rules, mama. You eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty, and just do it. :)

Even if you don't eat perfectly, it's still INFINITELY better than formula. Breastmilk is a living fluid - full of antibodies and stem cells. Formula is dead and created from a host of chemical compounds. There is no comparison.

Kellymom is good for when you have a question, when you need to find out about breastfeeding issues, or whether a medication is safe for breastfeeding. You don't need to complicate this at all. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Even if you don't follow the "rules" breastfeeding is still better than formula. Even the most malnourished mother produces breastmilk that is FILLED with all the necessary vitamins and nutrients a baby needs, plus some that you can't get in formula (minus the preservatives, additives, and other things that come in formula.. It is worth it in the long run.
    Anonymous

• It's really not that hard... just you try to eat a healthy diet and you breastfeed. The end!
    Anonymous

• I didnt follow "guidelines" for breastfeeding, I ate what I wanted when I wanted it. If I didnt get the right amount of calories oh well. All I did was continue my prenatals and that was it. If you read into all that stuff it can make it alot harder than it needs to be. I just went with the flow and it worked out great for us.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I breastfed one child and formula fed the other... I'd rather BF ANY day. It was soo much easier tan the formula. No bottles, no cleaning anything, no preparing the formula. Just pop ou ta boob and go!
    Anonymous

• you don't have to stress over it that much. of course studies are going to give you the best guidelines, but think about it like this studies also say in general breastfeeding is better for both mom and baby. those statistics come from normal women not a group of women following a set of rules to the tee. I am a breastfeeding mom and love it. I feel like its much easier because I don't have to take a bottle with me everywhere I go, and I can nurse while sleeping in bed. It deffiniitly makes the newborn frequent fedings much easier. However I have nothing against women who chose to formula feed. Just do what feel right to you. But know that its much easier then people make it out to be, just eat healthy.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Take your prenatals and you will get everything you need. You don't have to follow an strict guidelines to breastfeed. Eat want you want, TRY to get in some healthy stuff, and take your vitamins. There you go!
    Anonymous

• I don't really see how formula would be easier. Especially for middle of the night feedings. I'm planning on breastfeeding as well and I am anxious about it, but it seems like once you have the hang of it, it's pretty easy after that. It just can take a week or two for you to know what you are doing. Our hospital has lactation consultants that come and check on you during your stay and then if you need further assistance after you leave, you can make an appointment with them. Have you taken a breastfeeding class or attended a La Leche League meeting? I would recommend doing so. Seems like if you have a good support person to help you through it, things go much smoother. Not to mention that if you formula feed, that's just one more thing you have to worry about when it comes to recalls. Your boob isn't going to get recalled.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• LMAO!! "Your boob isn't going to get recalled." That's great!

BFing is so much easier. No middle of the night bottles to make, bottles or formula to pack, heating to do to get the milk warm, hundreds of dollars spent, etc. With a boob it's all there conveniently packaged with no heating, extra storage, or buying required :P
    Anonymous

• Huh? what? There are rules to BFing? How did I successfully manage 19 months of BFing without knowing there are rules? ;-)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009