How can i overcome the guilt feeling of having a child born with a birth defect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My brother was born with Down's. My real dad (POS) kept telling my mom it was her fault and she was a whore, stuff like that. You just have to realize it is NOT you fault and God only give's special kids to people that can overcome the hard times and grow up healthy. Im not preach to you, it's what was told to my mom 4-ever. Good luck girl, you got this!
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• And just why does God "give special kids"? He's so all powerful, so why does he make special kids?

(I am NOT the OP)

To the OP...You never really get over it. You bury yourself in learning about his special needs and how to help him the most. You throw yourself into his care. The guilt lessens after a while, but just as grief, it never fully goes away. And you are grieving....your grieving the "loss" of a "perfect" child. It's normal, and it's okay.

Just know that there may come a time when YOU need help. Find it. You're not doing him any favors if you wear yourself out, or find yourself deep in depression and can't come out of it on your own. (been there and done that)
    Anonymous

• my son is special needs and i "got over it" my son maybe different but he is perfect the way he is to me to be honest you just have to adapt your life to your unique bundle of joy
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 6:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2009