How do I tell the lady that is throwing my shower I DO NOT like her decorations/games/food?

I just went over to my friends house and she is throwing me my baby shower. I HATE THE DECORATIONS! They are ugly. The plans were to do a blue and brown theme so its a little more elegant and not super childish. I wanted that. I saw the decorations and they are girrafes, monkeys and elephants. Its....cute, but not what we planned on at all! Im really pissed about it and I dont know what to tell her or even what to do about it. HELP!!! She is my friend and I really dont want to be rude about it but im mad!

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 4:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree, for the most part you just need to smile & be thankful for your wonderful friend. I would throw out there, though, has she bought everything yet? If not, maybe you can steer her in a slightly different direction. If she has bought everything, maybe you could offer to bring a few things that are more your taste (and you foot the bill for them). Like, maybe you could decorate the food table or bring some more adult themed flower arrangements.

You definitely have a very good friend here & you need to not be rude to her. A few decorations aren't worth a friendship & you will want friends like this when the baby gets here. Congrats & good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You don't say anything. You just get over it and be happy you are getting a babyshower.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'd be quiet and thankful that my friend is throwing me a shower because not every woman gets one.
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness you certainly cannot say a word against them. Be gracious and tell her that she has amazing taste and that you appreciate all the trouble she has gone to. Smile, and give her the pleasure of doing what she considers something very nice for you.

Answer by Bmat at 4:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You need to graciously thank her for the party and say nothing. She is throwing you a party and in the grand scheme of things paper plates dont matter. Just take a deep breath and let it go. Its not worth ruining your friendship and she is doing soemthing nice for you. People dont care what the theme is, they are their to see you and celebrate your baby!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You can't tell her you hate it. She is being very kind, opening her home and heart to throw a shower for you. You should (as my MIL says) "suck it up" and be thankful for the shower. It is one afternoon in your life and you will benefit immensely from the presents, support and well wishes!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 4:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Wow. So not to sound snotty but someone is volunteering to throw you a baby shower and you want us to give you a decorative way of telling her you don't like what she's planning on doing because it's not what you previously planned?

Ever heard don't look a gift horse in the mouth? Just be grateful that she's willing throw the shower at all. Is she doing this out of her own pocket, time and effort? Then I would be thankfull, show up, smile pretty for the camera, try to enjoy myself with my guest and take home a boat load of presents.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'd grin and bear it. The party will last a couple hours, not worth messing up a friendship if she takes it personally. Smile and say thank you, that was very thoughtful to throw a baby shower for me.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you don't say a word. When someone throws you a party, you smile politely, thank her for doing all of the planning and carrying out, be cordial to all the guests that show, and don't whine about it not being to your standards.

What has happened to good social manners?
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't say anything, that would be TERRIBLY rude. Be thankful you're even getting a shower!
    Smile and thank her graciously.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009