500 extra cals when breastfeeding. 500 more than what?!

Some answers to my last question say 500 more cals than pre-prego consumtion. I had her eating 1500 cals/day before she found out she was prego...so that would still only be 2000 cals/day which doesn't seem enough (to me) with her weight now. Or is it 500 more than she was generally eating during the last trimester?? I don't want to give her a number too low but I do want to prescribe a meal plan that isn't too high in cals so she can lose the weight. I feel like 'go ahead and have 500 extra cals' is very vague and may give an excuse to go crazy overboard if there's not a number attatched! She's a little over 200 lbs as of now and she's due this month. Thank u in advance for ur answers;)

fitkids333

Asked by fitkids333 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I'd say 500 more than she should be eating according to her height and a healthy for that weight BMI (not that I like or approve of BMI really) pre-pregnancy.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Forgot to mention, one of the pitfalls of breastfeeding is some women take it as, "oh I can continue eating the way I was when I was pregnant, but I need to get in 500 more cals so I will eat even more". Many a Many women have fallen into this trap, including me. LOL.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Its a total of 500 calories,... when she became pregnant she should have increased her calories to 300 above the calories she was eating before becoming pregnant. If she breastfeeds she should still eat her calories she was before pregnancy plus the 300 and then an additional 200, so if she was on a 1500 cal diet before pregnancy she should be eating 2000 once the baby is born and she breastfeeds if not she can go back to her 1500 a day. 2000 calories is alot if she makes healthy choices. Look at her BMI and go from there, that is were most of the calories a person SHOULD be eating comes from right, but that is to maintain their current weight. A person that is on the heaveir side will not need as many calories as a smaller person so you have to take that into consideration also.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If you are concerned have her take your plan to the Doctor and have him/her check it out to make sure itt is safe and enough calories for her while she is breastfeeding and to still lose weight.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Breastfeeding uses 500 calories. Your daily minimum is 1800 calories.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009