Is it too soon to tell if he is left handed?

My son is 11 months. He does everything with his left hand, he even "draws" with the left. Is it too soon to tell, could he switch hands later? Or is he a lefty for life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 4 year old always used her left hand to so i tryed to get her to use her right when were drawing and now she is 5 she is still a lefty. but did you know some college give scholarships for left handed student it is considered a minority group...crazy.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 4:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am a teacher, and here is what my book says:

It is not unusual for babies and toddlers to have a preference for one hand, then develop a preference for the other hand, then be ambidextrous for a while, and then switch back to the first hand preference etc etc.

It changes a lot, it says hand preference is sometimes not fully determined until age 6 or so....

So he may change, maybe not....but you never know....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• probably a lefty, but it could still change. Does he kick with his left as well? At that age my duaghter used both hands a lot but kicked with her right foot. now at 2 she eats and colors mainly with her right hand.
    Anonymous

• Too soon to tell for sure. At his age, he should actually be using both hands. If he's not using both hands and crossing midline, give Early Intervention a call to make sure there's no problem with his fine motor skills.

I have a 3 year old who still hasn't picked a dominant hand.
    Anonymous

• I think it is a little early. But it is possible.

I thought that DD would be a lefty because she drew mostly, but not exclusively lefty until about 2.5. She is now a righty. My youngest, however was and always has been left hand dominant. His personality was also very different from his older sibs as well. Just something about it. When he was 2 I told the ped he was for sure a lefty, and she said, you still wait until 4 to really see. He is 4.5 and very much a lefty.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009