I just started my daughter on her 1st day of a new solid food and with the first poo came a very bad rash. Does this mean shes allergic? I have a doctor appt in 2 days but is there anything i should give her or use to calm the rash other than a and d? Possibly benadryl?

Tams_jade

Asked by Tams_jade at 8:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• shortness of breath, swelling esp. around lips and eyes, all over rashes are signs someone is allergic to something. If the rash is only on her bottom chances are good whatever she ate was too acidic for the baby. Each one is different. My first never cried to be changed ever...yet never got a rash. My youngest screamed before he was even finished and got rashes/irritation from poo almost as soon as it touched his skin. A&D is a good barrier cream..to prevent rashes/irritation. Once you have a rash you need something to heal it. Some like Desitin, others like Balmex, or Dr. Boudreaux Buttpaste..I personally used nothing but Dr. Smiths Diaper ointment. It comes in a small jar, is a little expensive to some but..it is THICK you only need a tiny bit. It heals and never stings. At least not in my experience. My granddaughter had a horrible rash when we brought her here to live. She would scream when desitin was applied..only the Dr. Smiths did not make her scream. As always it is IMHO
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Doing new food is always hard. You never know what it will bring. If your childs rash is just really extreme and hurting them badly, I use desitine and use it thick with every diaper change. If you really want to nip in the butt, you can use and ol time remedy that my husbands grandmother told me about. Brown flour in a frying pan, nothing else, let it cool a while and then use like baby powder, worked for me everytime. If you dont want to do all that work then you can use cornstarch as baby powder and also put in the bath when you bath them, Works well also. Wont hurt them at all, at any age.
    Oldham80

Answer by Oldham80 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Hi! This also happened to my son- he was 4 months old and I gave him some bananas and he got a total body rash. I took him to the doctors and they said it was a reaction and they prescribed him a antihistamine (I think that's what it was) and a cream.
    They also told me to continue with plain oatmeal for another week or so. He later was a little sensitive to strawberries but that passed too and his rash went away quick. So don't worry k? Take care!
    KatieFlower

Answer by KatieFlower at 9:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• maybe just not give her as much or mix it with the baby rice cereal... and definately bring it up at her doc appointment
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I agree carefull with Desitin it stings. And yes the rash could be a food alergy
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry she's allergic the doctoer will verify if she is or not she would probably swell and get a rash on her body too if it was an allergy that usally happens when they start eating solids I guess it's from passing it it's not as digestable as breast milk or formula. She'll probably be over it soon.
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 4:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2008