Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can do i do anything about cyber bullying?

Ok so i am 21 years old, my sister in law and her friend are bullying me over the interent, saying things about me, saying i cannot suort my kids and shit like that, and the emails and blogs keep getting worse, is there anything i can do? I live in oregon and they live in idaho so i cant just go to the cops and try for harassment charges, should i get a lawyer??

Answer Question

Asked by MammaSherry at 4:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Stop reading their blogs? Don't open their emails?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • You can still file for harassment. It would be the same as if they were calling you on the phone and harassing you. Just file a report. Also, you can block them from contacting you via email or blog, or etc. Block them from calling you also. If it keeps up, yes, I'd get a lawyer and see what you can do about it.

    Answer by srhmldndo at 5:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • yes you can go to the police. Go to your local station and ask them how to proceed. Actually I know for phone harassment you call the police and they send an officer to take a complaint and then the officer will call the person and usually that stops them. But I am not sure how the internet is policed, I just know new laws have made it illegal to stalk online...and that is stalking. all the police and good luck. also, can you just delete them from your computer, facebook, myspace,m whatever? it cant bother you if you dont go look hon, tho thats hard I know.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 5:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • Don't respond to them and if it continues then file a report.

    Answer by staceynoel at 5:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • Make printouts of the blogs, emails, etc. and turn them over to your local PD. If you know how to look upthe IP addresses of email senders, get the IP addresses on the emails as well. (This allows the police to contact the ISP.) It also allows your local PD to interact with their local PD. Additionally, since they are in another state, this becomes a FEDERAL crime - and depending on the severity of the harrassment, may be turned over to FBI and/or FCC jurisdiction.

    Alternately, contact their ISP with copies of the harrassing emails and blogs. Most ISPs have policies regarding the use of their services to harrass, and IIRC, the penalty is usually termination of service.

    (I used to moderate an online chatroom and had to turn over QUITE a few people for illegal activity.)

    Answer by geminilove at 5:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • File a police report

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.