help, my son wants to be vegetarinan?

my son is 7 he wants to stop eating meat and be vegetarinan. im scared hell not grow or get sick all the vegenatirans i know are skinny and have colds allthe time, how can i talk him out of this or is it okay? plz help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I went through this with my daughter, and she lasted all of about one day when she realized she wouldn't be able to eat a lot of her favorite foods. I think if you don't make a big deal out of it he is likely to change his mind. If not, then you can deal with making sure he is getting proper nutrition with or without meat. A few days of not eating meat or not eating a balance diet is not really going to hurt him.
    Anonymous

• I'm a vegetarian. I have been since I was 10. It might just be a phase he's going through, or he may just want to stick with it. I suggest giving him a daily vitamin if he isn't already taking one. Does he like a lot of veggies? Because you can get a lot of the same nutrition from them that can be found in meat. Or try tofu? The veggie burgers and stuff have a lot of similar nutrients. Just be there to support him whether it only lasts a couple days or forever. It's hard making meals that don't feel like just side dishes. And I've faced a lot of smart remarks about being a vegetarian that I'm sure he might have to go through as well. But I know that if you don't support him he'll get upset. My parents didn't want me to become a vegetarian and for a couple years they kind of forced meat on me, in smaller amounts, but they knew I wasn't changing my mind.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• There are plenty of other ways to get nutrients in meat without eating meat.
    Anonymous

• I would force feed my child meet. Not eating meet just makes you sickly and unhealthy. I eat stake 3 times a week, and I never get sick.
    Anonymous

• My DH was raised Hindu so we know a lot of families who do not eat meat. Their kids are just as healthy as my DD. With any diet (vegetarian, vegan, meat eating) you need to have a good balance so you can get all your nutrients.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Just keep taking him to McDonalds and order him a salad while the other kids chow down on Happy Meals. He will change his mind real quick. Besides, everyone knows vegetarians are weird, and you wouldn't want you child to grow up weird.
    Anonymous

• My boss was a vegatarian, and she had terrible gas. She farted constantly, even in meetings, and really loud, too. That cant possibly be healthy to fart so much. Not to mention she was skinny and bony and always bad tempered.
    Anonymous

• My cousin is a vegetarian, and she is bad tempered too, but she always WAS a bitch. She has a really fat butt, though. She still eats cheese and butter, and really slathers its on.

Can''t help you much on the kid, though.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I see there are some common misconceptions about vegetarianism. The ignorance really shows in this post.

I_Am_A_Rock

Answer by I_Am_A_Rock at 7:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• LOL!!! Some of these answers are so funny! I consider myself a vegetarian but I still eat fish and eggs. Actually despite these extremely stupid and highly uneducated answers being a vegetarian actually has a lot of health benefits IF you eat properly and make sure that you get enough protein. My first suggestion is for you and your son to sit down with his pediatrician and talk about it, secondly, maybe pick up a book on how to become a vegetarian and what you need to know nutrition wise. Sometimes you have to get a little creative with your cooking and it takes a little getting used to. It may be hard for you as a parent because you'll be the one preparing meals, its also hard to go over peoples houses because most of the time you will need to bring your own food. Oh and by the way I'm not sickly skinny and I don't remember the last time I had a cold because I take excellent care of my body so your statement is false!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2009