How do I get my son off the bottle totally?

I have a 13 month old son and I want to get rid of the bottles. Is this the right age to get rid of them? He takes a sippy for the most part, just dont like to when I watch a 9 month old thats still on one sometimes. He only takes the bottle for naps and bed and sometimes one with breakfast. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just offer the sippy, no more bottles at all
    Anonymous

• i took my sons' bottles away when he was 1 which was just a few days ago he cried the first cple nights but he got over it just keep offering the sippy
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 6:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Stop giving them to him. Period. End of discussion.
    Anonymous

• We started giving him a sippy more often than not. One day, we handed him a bottle and told him it was the last one. He argued with us - babbling followed by MY BABA. For the next 2 days, occasionally he would start talking about "MY BABA" but then he was fine.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i put all the bottles away and only offered him the sippy cup. We started out with those Nuby cups with the soft nipple. He really liked them.
    AirborneBratMom

Answer by AirborneBratMom at 9:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• WELL WHAT I DID FOR MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DID NOT GIVE IT TO HER ANYMORE AT ALL. I JUST STARTED GIVING HER 3 MEALS A DAY AND 2 SNACKS A DAY, JUICE TWICE A DAY. I GIVE HER MILK WHEN SHE WAKES UP. JUICE AT LUNCH AND DINNER, AND MILK AT BED TIME WITH HER SNACK. SHE GOT OFF HER BOTTLE WHEN SHE WAS 14 MONTHS OLD
    My2ButterFlys

Answer by My2ButterFlys at 1:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I just stopped giving my daughter the bottle...she was 14 months and she would love to drink her milk at night in a bottle.. so the 1st night she was upset that i was giving her her milk in a sippy cup...and she would give it back tome and not drink the milk..but after a few times of getting the sippy cup everytime she would want her milk..she eventually took it and we NEVER went back to bottles...she was even around her younger cousins during the day who used bottles still and she would pick them up and give them to the babies....it was smoother that I could have imagined..
    AmoresMommy

Answer by AmoresMommy at 5:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• just take it away. hide them so your LO doesnt see it at all. make sure you have a soft nippled sippy for night time. the last bottle my son took was the night before his first birthday, and hasnt had one since. it might be frustrating at first but dont give it. after about 36 hours its over. and you will say to yourself (cause i did) "wow that wasnt as hard as i thought it would be"
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009