"Your Mom doesn't drink so she has no coping skills" WTF?

So we stayed for a week at a beach house with my inlaws for a wedding. On the forth day dh's uncle and aunt came to stay too. We were headed to the beach when they arrived so they asked us to wait for them. When we all went down to the beach my dh and his uncle got in the water. I stayed out with our two toddler's, 1 and 3. The aunt doesn't say anything to me but goes and gets in the water leaving her two toddlers same ages as mine with me without telling me. It pissed me off. I have four toddlers running around on the beach and only one me to keep them safe. Her kids don't know me so they will not listen to me. My MIL joins us on the beach and I tell her that I am pissed that the aunt left the kids with me without telling me. So finally they come back to the sand and leave. We stayed awhile in the water. When we return to the house her kids are sitting in front of the tv watching cartoons and crying, and were are..

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 6:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• the mom and dad...out drinking beer and smoking. Nobody is watching their kids. They were in there for at least 45mins before the parents even came in to check on them.
    OK the next morning they expected everyone else to take care of the kids. The problem is these kids don't know anybody in the house and won't listen. So they are jumping around screaming and yelling, they are hitting and trying to bite. Where are the parents?...still in bed.
    So that afternoon my oldest was being loud and the tv was turned up really high because the great grandpa can't hear anything. So I say to my kid, cut it out, you are driving me crazy. Dh's Aunt walks in and says. "Jack don't you know your mom doesn't drink, so she has no coping skills. WTF?
    I know that my MIL told her it was uncool to leave me alone on a driveon beach with four kids three and under.
    So because I don't want to be her babysitter I have no coping skills?
    What would you say?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Am I just being a bitch for being pissed off about it?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• no, i'd be pissed too but atleast SOMEONE was watching the kids, good for you for keeping an eye on them anyways, i would have told her off but that's just me, maybe i'm a bigger bitch than you are lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would be irritated as well I do not think you wrong at all I would get irritated as well I mena I understand if she asked you to watch the little ones for ten minutes or something while she went pee, but come on that was not the case you are not over reacting at all !!!! I would be angry and with the coping skills sounds like she is the one with no coping skills, if she thinks that alcohol is the answer!!!!!!!!
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would have slapped her, DAMN what a biotch!
    Anonymous

• The best part is after she said it she giggled and said "Oh where is my journal I have to write that down" Like it was the smartest thing she has ever said in her life. UGH!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I don't drink either in a family of drinkers so I guess you and I can't cope. We should start a group. My in-laws always look at me funny when they offer a drink and I don't want it. So I feel your pain.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't want to have coping skills if it meant I had to be a drunk. I would be angry too. Good thing someone was taking care of the kids.
    Anonymous

• I think you are over reacting.
    Anonymous

• jealous of what? I don't know. I do think she wanted to relax on her vacation, but so did I. I didn't ask others to watch our kids during the vacation because I knew they were on vacation too.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009