I need some advice about my 1 yr olds eating habit???? please

My now 1 yr old has been on 2% milk for 2 weeks now and is getting constipated..he isn't off the bottle yet, he's refusing to drink it outa the cup. He is teething on top of all of this, so his eating is very finicky, he is a picky eater.
I was told to give him water, prunes and no bread or CARBS, do alot of leafy veggies.........has anyone else had this problem?? I dont know what to do. They said it is too early for switching his milk? I dont know.........HELLP>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he should be on whole milk and 2% after 2 years old. but sometimes milk makes them constipated too so any fruit juice, fruit, veggies, etc should help

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 6:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What I did for my daughter was I took her off the bottle, and formula and put her onto milk she as well got constipated, (as for switching there are these bottles at walmart called nuk they come in green and red only they halve a little bit of the sucking motion but way better for there teeth casu eit is a sippy cup) Prunes did not work, (she hated them and spit them out) I found that fresh fruit cut upp was the best way peaches mixed in with some baby yougurt seemed to work the ebst
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• The 2% is fine. As long as he's eating a balanced diet of table foods, that is.

Constipation going to milk is common. Do what they told you to do. If he's not eating his nutritional needs, get him back on formula until he is. If you keep him on the milk, his body will adjust. It might take a bit and keep him full of the fruits and vegetables. Hold off on the carbs for sure.
    Anonymous

• My DD had issues when I intruduced rice cereal (I will NEVER give a baby rice cereal again!). I gave her one sippy cup daily with 1-2oz of prune juice, and 1oz of water. It cleared her right up! Its kind of tricky to find the right amount though . . . . to much and she would have diarrhea, too little and she would have gas and stomach cramps.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Toddlers are supposed to drink whole milk - they need the fat. Just try to get him to eat a balanced diet - plenty of fruits and veggies. If my son's poopy gets a little harder than normal, I give him an extra sippy of juice and he's fine.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009