How many of you feel that you did the right thing to home-school your kids?

Mine are on their own now and I KNOW that we did the right thing by having them home.

Have you considered schooling, training, and having your children home?

What is your opinions today with the public schools way of teaching?

Do you think that the PUBLIC SYSTEM has gone too far with some of their WORLDLY WAYS? What does some of it have to do with Reading, writing and math?

bloodbought

Asked by bloodbought at 6:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I read it and it wasn't about homeschooling... it was about when she said that she was thinking about martial arts to defend himself if they found out he had a gay uncle.... The response had nothing to do with pushing homeschooling on that person.... gheesh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I put this in this catagory because it is about our beliefs.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 6:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• replies from another question that someone else had posted.
    ~~
    This is one reason I think we need state set standards for home-schooling {her reply about science and homeschoolers}
    ~~~~
    my response:
    If you knew what you were talking about; there are state standards for home-schooling.
    There are also children that run circles around the "follow the leader kids in public schools" as far as
    learning abilities. They actually have to research and prove they have the information found on their own.
    It isn't handed to them by the public school teachers.
    They graduate earlier
    colleges are happy to have them
    employers hire them because they know that they are not SLACKERS and can actually do stuff by themselves.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 6:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would absolutely homeschool my son if it were feasible right now. In public school he has kids proselytizing to him already and that was just in Kindergarten. I just can't wait until they get to junior high and they've been filled with judgment and hate to go along with the hormones and anger issues. Meanwhile we're looking into martial arts classes in case they find out he has gay relatives.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• We homeschooled only for our daughter's religious education. It was the right decision. She will (if she keeps her grades up) graduation high school with at least on year of college credits and at least one college year's worth of scholarships

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am lucky in the fact that the district we're in has the best Elementary school in the city and my oldest is a smarty pants who got into a college prep high school for gifted children. I've never had a negative public school experience- even when I went. I also attended a few Catholic schoosl off and on and although the class size was smaller, I felt they were lacking in up to date information and educational tools.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's not an option for me to homeschool. It wouldn't be fair to deny my kids real world experience and I know that what they are doing in public school is successful with them. I haven't the patience to be a teacher for a gifted 11 year old and three autistic boys. I advocate for all of them which is no easy task in itself. So for them the social interaction with kids their own age is priceless to me. I applaud all teachers for what you do. May I ask why you are so down on the public school system? I see nothing wrong with it. I see nothing wrong with homeschooling or private schools either. it's just I feel it's better for kids to be amoung their peers for real world and social skill development.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am not going to bash the public schools completely because I choose to work in the public schools. I think for the most part some amazing things are happening there, and the teachers are great.

I personally am putting my dd in private Christian school, but it isn't to keep her in a bubble but to enhance her education by adding a spiritual element. And the school we have her at has a great music, art, and sports program too.

I am choosing not to homeschool my dd now, because of her personality. She is very social and she is stimulated by groups of people. I want her to have a traditional school experience. I can add to that experience at home.

I think each parent has to decide what is best for their child, and what is possible for their family. I know of some families that did different things with each of their children (some were at home, some in the private, and some in public) depending on their needs.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Im homeschooling my son, starting this year, because the school district we live in STINKS and I refuse to put my bright and brilliant child in a school system that will stomp out his flame.

My spiritual beliefs had nothing to do with this decision.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• All of my kids are/will be placed in public schools. My middle son needs more intensive instruction then I feel I can give him. And I like the schools around here. The teachers are nice and they keep in contact with the parents. Of course, my kids are still in grade school. But, i went to the High School here, as did my dh, and we like it too.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009