1st time induction.... questions pls help.

I went to the doctors today for my 38th week check up, Im still 4 cn dilated, and am now 70% effaced, I begun to dilate at 36 weeks, this in my 3rd child, so I have been making progress over the last few weeks, she gave me the option of Induction, because I do live over and hour away from the hospital, and because this is my 3rd child, and because as she refered I have a favorable cervix due to the fact that im already 70% effaced and 4 cn dilated, and that I have had kids before, I chose to do this casue im very ready to have her, and im so miserable. This will be my 1st time being induced and kinda nervous had any other mothers out there been induced if so , pls tell me what it was like, and pls no comments on how its unhealthy and I should just wait, this was my decsion, and there are alot of other factors that went into it besides " im very ready to have this baby" ty to all who will offer me advise.

blueeyes_1818

Asked by blueeyes_1818 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced for my 1st and 3rd.
    My 1st well he just decided he didn't want to come out after he tried to come early and they stopped labor. I went in about 5 in the morning checked then they hooked me up. 22 hours later my son was born.
    My dd also had to be induced. she was my third and they induched around 5 pm it took a while for my body to catch on and go into labor I had her 3:15 the next day,

I understand how you feel i was just there 6 mos ago. but induction is uncomfortable. they don't let you walk around and it seems to take forever but thats just my experience.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• O yeah good luck with your labor i hope it's as painless as possible.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have two babies and I was enduced with my first baby, because I was in the same boat was having hard laybor for 17 hours but stuck at 4 and only 80% effaced, my son came out just fine :) I will tell you though that being enduced is more intense then regular laybor. I would feel bad for not telling you that though, My daughter I had without being enduced I was two weeks over due and I was going to be enduced but she came the night before, I was going to be enduced with her though. The difference for me was being educed made the contractions harder, quicker, and less in between, but regular layber the contractions were less intense, but for a longer period, the difference between about 10 seconds are so but you should be fine :)
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I was induced with my son (first child) and it wasnt so bad. They gave me a pitocin drip to speed things along and broke my water. It really wasnt so bad but I guess each birth is its own individual experience regardless. I am sure it will be fine :)
    Ng.Oddity

Answer by Ng.Oddity at 7:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I was induced(I only have 1 child). I went in at 7pm and got cervidil(vag supp) at 8pm and the next morning my doc checked on me and I was progressing. I didn't have her until about 6pm that night but she was sunny side up so it was a tougher labor for me(at least that's what my RN said). It wasn't until I got a pitocin drip that I started experiencing extreme pain. It makes contractions more severe and they can control how frequent they are. I did get an epidural but my doc cut it off completely once I was ready to push. The experience overall wasn't too terrible. I found out later that my doctor induced me because he was going to the presidential inauguration and wanted me out of the hospital by the time he needed to leave town. I was 50% effaced for weeks and not dilated at all at by my 39 week check up
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My best advice: be educated, but still know how to go with the flow. The goal is to have a safe delivery and a healthy child.
    I have one child, my son who was born in Nov 2008. My doctors induced me at 8 days past my due date. I wasn't dilated barely one centimeter....they gave me cervidil ( a wafer-like device that they insert into your cervix to help you dilate ). Twelve hours later, the next morning, they took out the cervidil and saw that it didn't do anything. They give me pitocin, which started my contractions on high gear! The stronger my contractions became, the more I started to dilate. The contractions were painful, but they weren't as bad as it looks on TV and stuff. The nurse gave me stadol ( an analgesic med thru my saline drip
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 7:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I was induced with my daughter and I felt more prepared knowing that she was actually coming that day. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to eat anything, I was induced at 5 am and had her at 11:30 pm. So its long but I think it will be fine for you.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 7:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Everybody put the fear into me that inductions are horrible...scary, dangerous, what have you. But inductions are NOT bad! I was really grateful for mine because my son was 22 inches long, 9 lbs and 8 oz at birth. If I wasn't induced my son could have faced health problems being too far post-natal. Grateful for my docs and nurses who did an excellent job. Had a very mellow, relaxing birth and my son is healthy. Good luck to you and your family! If you ever need advice you can mssg me. Take care !
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 7:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I was induced at 5:30 in the morning it wasnt bad at all got my IV,and about 9 the broke my water then if you want an epidural you can have it anytime after that, I waited until the contractions got really bad then asked for it and once I had it it took about 30 minutes then it felt like i had to poop really bad and they sai that was good checked me and I was at a 10 so we started to push and I would say 10 minutes later at 2:59pm same day I had my son... He was healthy, it's nothing to worry about I think it just prepares you more... good luck and congrats!!!
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 7:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009