Was your mom a SAHM or did she work outside the home?

Did this affect your decision to stay home or work?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 7:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Both

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• She was a SAHM on and off until she decided to go back to school. Then she worked and went to school. Then she suffered a stroke and died a year later of metastatic colon cancer at the age of 37. I was only 14 so it's hard to gauge anything based on her.

As for me, I was in the navy for 11 years and got out to be there for the kids while my husband went back and forth to Iraq. Now I am trying to find work, but it's hard to in my field with a 3 year gap in my employment history.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• she worked. My choice to stay home was made for me. I worked until I couldn't. Having fibro sucks at times. And, yes I know people work with this condition, but, not all fibro is created equal.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my mom worked outside the home and i'm going to school to someday work outside the home
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• She worked, sometimes three jobs. She was a single mom of five for a while. If she didn't work we didn't eat. Then she married my step dad and didn't have to work as much.
    She also went back to college and went to school full time and worked full time for five years. I don't think it affected my decision to be a SAHM. I remember her being a great mom, with time for us.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My mom worked, and really it didn't effect my choice to be a SAHM either way. I just know I'd rather do this than work outside the home and miss being with my baby :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my mom was a 40 hr a week social worker, and honestly i love to work, but hard to get a job in this economy but when one opens up ill be happy! but till then ill enjoy my child to the fullest
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• She mostly stayed at home. There were times she helped my father with his cleaning business so we had times we were "latch key" kids.
    When I was in high school she ran an in-home daycare so she worked from home.

My decision to stay home was because I felt it was the best thing for my family. One day I will go back to work, probably just part time for a while but it will happen.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My mom worked 2 full time jobs while I was growing up so I was with my grandparents alot. That person some people would call my dad was always in prison so my mom had alot on her plate with no help. Even now, my sister and I grown up with children of our own and living away from home, she works 13-15 hour days. Shes always been a hard worker. I get my work ethic from her but it didn't influence my decision to work or stay at home. I always wanted to work because I don't want to depend on anyone. I love DH but I have that "cover your ass" attitude because of what I watched my mom go through. I will never depend on a man. I bought the house, its in my name alone, I have 2 cars that I alone own, and I have my own bank account. No matter how much I trust someone, I never want to be in the position she was in so I make it so I'll never be in that position.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 7:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My mom was a SAHM until we moved off of the Air Force Base when I was about 7. When we relocated from NM to CA, she worked and is STILL working her arthritic fingers to the bone.

I wanted to stay home because I don't want my DD2 to be in day care, it is a cheaper option for me to stay home right now, and I enjoy being home for my DD1, to pack her lunch and help her with homework. I'm also able to go to school functions, something my mom never did for us.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 7:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009