what would you have done?

At library this morning my kids (3 and 4 1/2) made friends with this lovely little 4yr old and her Mom and I swapped numbers and had a lot in common. As I was putting their books in the trunk the kids were all saying goodbye to each other and I turned around a few moments later and her kid and my 2 kids were happily gnawing on some kind of sliced meat (salami, pepperoni, I dunno) from her car... her car in the middle of the hot Summer parking lot after at **LEAST** an hour in the library, probably more. It was snack time and my kids were devouring it like vultures so I just stood there, stunned, and said nothing. The lady seemed pleased, like she'd done a lovely thing... I considered playing the allergy card but 1) I was worried I'd get hostile and 2) it didn't actually have his allergens in it. Now I am so pissed I am not sure I want us around her anymore. Since this pretty much could happen to anyone, what did I do wrong?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• You should have your kids ASK before they accept food from a stranger. Start working on this now so it doesn't happen again. If they eat from strangers and you're not around or looking, this could be a more seriously problem.

If it was me, I'd still let my kids have playdates with them and just tell them not to eat while over there, if it's that important to you, or send my own snacks for my own children and just tell the mom that's what u want your child to eat. No big deal..
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Since you can't control everyone else I think you have to work on getting your kids to ask you before they eat something that you did not give them. Mine will ask me if she can have a cookie even if it is being offered by her grandmother because she knows this is the rule. Until you get them trained you just have to stay on your toes. If you otherwise enjoy this mom and her kid, then just be prepared to be one step ahead in the future - make sure you have a snack available when your kids will be wanting one.
    Anonymous

• You should have acted on it and took your kids off the meat ASAP. I'm sure she didn't see the harm and I wouldn't not see someone I thought could be a good friend over some bad jerky. Just let her know you think it's unsafe to eat hot jerky if thats how you feel and move forward.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Sadly it was not jerky/dried. That's the major cringe factor. It was previously cold/fresh meat of some kind... in was in a circle shape like lunch meat.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Did you see, maybe she had it stored in a cooler in her car? I know that when we're out and about for the day, we have a cooler in the back that we keep food in, so maybe she did and you didn't see it? I'm trying to look at this possibly being a misunderstanding, you know, always think the best.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son has severe peanut and shell fish allergies, has an epi-pen for them, so I've taught him from the time he started eating table foods only mommy (and other family members obviously) can give him food. From the time he started talking till now if anyone offers him something and i;m not around he brings it to me to ask if it has peanuts before eating it. If your child has allergies they should know to never eat food unless mom says its ok or they can read the ingredients. I would work on teaching your child to check with you before eating things strangers offer.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I always keep our snacks in a cooler, but she should have asked first. I like the idea about training your kids to ask first. My neighbors are always feeding my kid crap
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm sure she thought she was being a good friend by feeding your little ones. Maybe you should have fed them better before going to the library?
    Anonymous

• So because she offered your kids food because they were hungry, you don't want to be around her? That's very petty. She's better off not being around YOU. She probably felt bad that your kids were drooling while her child was eating her snack, and felt pity for them. Wow, only a HORRIBLE person would do such a thing!!

Unreal.........................
    Anonymous

• I hope she's not on cafemom, reading your rude question.
    Anonymous