Im 37 weeks and today my Dr says my baby is 7lbs 9oz and that my baby is big and is at risk for Shoulder Dystocia, That I need to deciede by next week if im gonna agree to a c-section. My Husband & I have been weighing the pros and cons. Any Advice????

MrsNewMom

Asked by MrsNewMom at 7:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• never heard of it, if your doctor recommends a c section i'd probably do it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would question your doctors motives, it sounds like he just want the money from doing a c section. I wouldn't agree to that at all. People have big babies everyday. I personally had two that were 8.5 lbs and one that was 9lbs. They were born just fine with out any problems.
    I wouldn't do it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• are u very petite, OP?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have never heard of Shoulder Dystocia. I'm assuming it has something to do with a large baby passing through your vagina and possibly affecting it's shoulders?

I had to have a c-section with my 2nd child. She measured 9 lbs on ultrasound when I went in for my induction, and my doc finally suggested it because she said there was no way this baby was going to fit. I was definitely scared, especially since I had been laboring for 12 hours already and it was a decision I had to make right away. The c-section wasn't too bad, it was scary because it was unknown, but it was over in minutes and both me and my baby (who was actually 10 lbs 2 ozs!) were fine. The worst part is the first couple of weeks of at home recovery. You might be in quite a bit of pain but it subsides. She's 7 months now and the scar is barely noticable and does not hurt anymore. Good luck :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• depending on the shape of your pelvis it shouldn't be a problem to deliver naturally, my son was 8lbs 11oz and didn't have a problem with shoulder dislocation. but if your dr reccommends it i would weigh it out. recovery is harder but its all in the well being of your baby in the long run
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'd be asking more questions. Why do you need a c-section? Do you have a small pelvis? Do you have a small stature? Couldn't they induce as opposed to surgery? It takes weeks to feel normal after a big surgery as opposed to maybe days after a vag birth. I would definatly want a few more options.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Back in the olden days--that is, just a few years ago-- shoulder dystocia frequently resulted in injury to the infant. Nerve paralysis, brain damage, as well as the subtle outcomes of oxygen deprivation could follow a difficult birth that involved this complication. After traction in different directions, complicated cork-screwing maneuvers were next in the sequence of attempts to finish the delivery. The clock would keep ticking. The baby's clavicle, a flimsy bone of the shoulder, would give way either by accident or by design so as to make a collapsible escape for the respective shoulder. The scene was tense for all of the right reasons.

Now we use a technique called the McRoberts maneuver.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Now we use a technique called the McRoberts maneuver.

In this technique, the woman's thighs are pulled far back onto her abdomen while an assistant applies pressure downward right above the pubic bone. The maneuver of the thighs causes the pelvic ring to increase in size, and the pressure on the baby's shoulder from above the mother's pubic bone forces it out toward the doctor who is pulling with an additional force. Most often these babies are delivered within a moment of recognizing the problem. It's hard to give credit to this maneuver to the extent that it deserves. How many injuries or even deaths have been prevented would be impossible to tabulate. This uncomplicated technique is a powerful reminder that for all of it's intricate biochemical processes and miraculous genetic unfolding birth is still a process of mechanical simplicity.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had 2 c-sections. The first was performed at a teaching hospital by a student overseen by a doctor. It took a month before I could cough without hurting. My 2nd c-sec was 10 years later, performed by an extremely competent doctor and I was up and about with NO PAIN the very next day. Research your doctor, talk to his other patients that have had to have c-secs. I would love to recommend my doctor but I don't know if you live close enough to use him. LOL Good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Sounds to me like your dr wants to be home in time for dinner. I'd ask ALOT more questions
    Anonymous