How would you suggest getting kids to follow the rules, exspecially with cps watching your ass????

We had a report made against us with cps. So now, we're too scared to do anything for fear of getting in more trouble. I'm NOT looking for bashing here. We need some serious suggestions. NOT, spanking!!! The kids pretty much know that we're worried about getting in trouble, and are using it to their full advantage. I just cleaned their room yesterday(yes, they should clean it, but I have to if they wont, so we dont get in trouble for the room being dirty), and it is completey, and totally destroyed today.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• you're in a bribe... try an old fashioned bribe (AKA "reward system".... hehe)
    Bowling nite? Sleep over? Movie rental/popcorn? Get to plan dinner menu for family? Stay up later than siblings? etc etc.... good behavior, chores, etc. Encourage a little competition.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• PS I hope it's over for you soon :( It's everyones worst fear.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You can still disapline your children anyway you see fit as long as its not abuse.... Such as leaving marks or spanking them anywhere but the butt. You wont get in trouble for your kids being put in their place but you can get in trouble for them being out of control
    Anonymous

• Set up a Nanny Cam! Video camera hidden amongst something decorative that the kids wouldn't notice.

Go about your normal everyday business, instructing the children to do their chores as you normally do. If they don;t comply, or threaten you regarding CPS, tell them you;re not worried, you're not asking them to do anything that will hurt them.

When you meet wiht CPS, show them the tape so they can see what you'r eup against
    Anonymous

• OOPS!!!!!!!!! I meant you're in a BIND.... try a bribe
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks, those might work. My kids love to out do each other.
    Anonymous

• Anon 7:51. .... too risky 4 her. Her kids are being manipulative. Fueling their nasty little fires could backfire. If she loses her kids... we've all seen lifetime movies. She'll never get them back.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• 3:51. thats a very good idea. I'll have to look into that one.

To the other anon. We dont abuse them, but when they dont get there way, they have been going into screaming fits. We let them get their way to stop the screaming,because we dont want to be acused of anything.
    Anonymous

• hey OP.... I dunno how old your kids are. But maybe a family meeting? Explain to them what a foster home is and that they'd have a loss of you, their favorite food, toys, some clothes, school, neighborhood, friends, pets, etc. Explain that it would be a gamble going into a new house. Maybe the foster Mom would clean their rooms for them and bake them cupcakes all day long. Or maybe she'd make them pick up dog poop, scrub floors with a toothbrush and beat them with belts. Encourage working together as a family, like a team, to eliminate CPS as soon as possible.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• we have several, and our oldest is 10. We have had a family meeting. I dont think they grasp it. I dont think that they believe someone would ever really take them from their mommy and daddy. i sure wish they did understand.
    Anonymous