3 and 1/2 bedwetting

my three and a half year old who has been dry at night for about eight months recently started wettign the bed. should i be concerned? or do you think it could be a phase?

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's probably a phase. I wouldn't worry too much. But keep your eye out to see if he may have a UTI, you might want to get that checked out. Other than that, he may just be sleeping extra heavy right now.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's usually just a phase and it will end just as suddenly as it began. Just don't make a big deal of it cause it just makes them more nervous.
    Kimmy032802

Answer by Kimmy032802 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Most likely a phase. We have 6 kiddos-
    15yo wet the bed until she was 10 (heavy sleeper)
    14yo stayed dry always
    10yo wet the bed until she was 8 (high functioning autism- medications)
    9yo stayed dry always
    5yo still wets the bed (heavy sleeper)
    4yo stays dry
    Different kids have different reasons- could be anything from a growth spurt, to heavy sleeping, to a traumatic event (not trying to make you worry). Major events can also cause intermittent bed wetting, so can drinking too late at night, sleeping too heavy. Watch and make sure it isn't happening all the time, and don't make a big deal out of it when it does.
    Good Luck!
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 9:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It sounds a lot like what my daughter went through. She had been perfectly potty-trained for months, about 6-8, and then one day she started having night time accidents and even some day time accidents. To help with the bedwetting problem, I decreased her liquids after supper and eliminated a drink at bedtime and made it a habit to take her to the potty before she goes to sleep and then before I go to bed. Now, more than a year later, she rarely has accidents - she will wake herself up to go pee again. When I talked with the ped. about it, she said that it was normal and would resolve after limiting liquids at night. If he still has problems when liquids have been limited, you probably should take him to the ped.
    KaMomma

Answer by KaMomma at 10:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• ask your child whats wrong? your kid might just say something like "im scared of getting up its too dark"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009