Should I call black people black or African American?

Obviously I'm white. I'm asking b/c recently I was informed that some people don't like being refered to as African American b/c they are black and not of African decent. I'm sorry, I honestly can't tell a difference. I want to teach my children the right thing and not to offend anyone, but it is honestly just easier to say black. He asked me recently (he's 3) why a man near us was black and I just told him that God made everyone special and different and some of us are white and some black, but God loves us all equally. I don't want him going saying the wrong thing and really just want to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you plan on asking every white person their heritage? Youd have to call me -Scottich-american

You cant call mexicans mexicans anymore either but mexican american. Spanish american... etc... Who cares just call em black
    Anonymous

• my lil girl is mixed and she knows mom is white and she is black because her dad is black. i am from the south so i only hear them refered to as black. i dont why i do this but i always say white girl and black chick.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Well I don't want to offend anyone. When my son asked the question the man just looked at us funny.
    Anonymous

• Besides "brainwashed Obama minion", I call myself black. It's easier and shorter and it's what I've always used. But, you can't please everyone.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 8:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I still what to know what white immigrants from South America have to fill out on their forms here in the US? Do they check the African-American box? (They are technically) but they're not 'black' - isn't that confusing?
    Anonymous

• I just say Im half white half black so I go with Black.
    some ppl prefer african american
    but if u ask Im sure ppl wouldnt get offended.

But I wouldnt just ask out of no where cuz i dont see any one asking, hey are you irish or german, you know so it would be weird but If you get know some one you could just ask what they rather
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• African American, Black.....no matter what you call this race there is always someone who will take offense. I always thought the PC term was African American but there are people who aren't happy with that either. Also, the newest PC term for Mexican Americans is "Hispanic" even though this is also a very broad term that refers to almost everybody who has origins from Central and South America. By the way, why is it that Euro-Americans are all referred to as "white" but there is no prejudice there?
    Anonymous

• i fell anything you refer them they get offended....... thats what they are they shouldnt get offended.
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 8:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• How about you just call people by their names???
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• anon:08

Whites or caucasians would still check the box =Caucasian. South-Africa is just country were they were born.

Anonymous