Need advice about POSSIBLE child abuse

First and foremost....I have NO proof. I don't want to ruin a family's life by "falsely accusing them." This family lives in another state and I've never seen this child. HOWEVER, when I talk to the mom....she never has anything nice to say about the child. She's always telling me about the most recent trip to the emergency room. The last one she said left him with several stitches in his head. But was vague how he got them. She offers up that he's always at the hosptial....I don't ever ask. She always curses at him. She has no patience with him. BUT.....I've never seen the child and it COULD be possible that this is attention getting from the mom. So I'm stuck.....not sure what I should do. Any suggestions? If she is abusing the child....I don't want to ignore it. But if she's not....and he really is accident prone....I don't want their family ripped apart. Thank you in advance for any help with this!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• Tough one. I would say before you take any action, go visit and see for yourself.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 8:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Wouldn't you think the hospital is doing something if they suspect it?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree, the hospital would do something if there was suspected abuse, it is the law that they must report it
    Anonymous

• If there is abuse going on, the hospital would have reported it already. Doctors and nurses are mandatory reporters and must report any suspected child abuse. If they do not and it is found that the child is being abused, the doctors and nurses can be charged, as can teachers and childcare workers. I would stay out of it, you have nothing to go on, excpet what a frustrated mom is saying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• some times doctors and nurses dont detect abuse. if the acting is good, and the child is scared they silently know their drill. ask more questions to this mom and also begin a relationship with this child, the child might need some one to trust, one whom is not there in person,
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 2:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2009