I need help keeping my kids in at night... Please help!

My kids were caught sneaking out our basement sliding glass door. They were disciplined and now are all sharing 2 bedrooms up here. There are 5 kids in the rooms and we're expecting another in Dec.

We had 3 of the kids in the basement, there is a large bedroom down there.

But, I'm just too scared to trust them down there.

Does anyone know how to lock a sliding glass door from the inside? But, then, maybe that's a fire issue... I don't know what else to do.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Check your hardware store. There are differnet kinds of locks you can put on the inside. We have a latch that goes at the top so our kids can't get out. Although I am sure it is to simple for yours. Our kids are 2 and 3! I know when my husband looked, the hardware stores had several options.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• How old are they? Where are they going when they sneek out?
    Anonymous

• They are 9, 10, and 12. We live in a townhouse development and there is a pool and playground. Curfew for the city is 11, but my kids are in by 10 at the very latest. But, there has been a problem of kids sneaking out and meeting at the playgroud.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Are they all girls? or all boys? Can you seperate them from one another? They will always be braver when they are together, so maybe seperate the 3 older ones and make each one share a room with one of the younger ones. If that doesn't work, make them sleep in your room on the floor, until they learn their lesson and promise not to ever sneak out again. Make the punishment serious. They are way too young to be testing you this way. I have a 13, 11, and 9 year old, and I would die if they tried to sneak out, seriously. They had better know better.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Put an alarm on the door so that when they open the door, the alarm goes off. You can get them at the hardware store or even Walmart. Many people use them that have a pool, in case their children get the sliding door open, they know. Also, it is time for a long talk with your kids about what can happen to them when they sneak out. They can be in trouble with the police and get a ticket for being out after curfew.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My dh just purchased a lock/w a key for our sliding glass door. I have two kids W /ADHD. We have had to make our home into fort Knox! My thearpist has told me that us doing so is for the saftey of the kids. When my dh went to the hardware store to buy our double deadbolt the sales guy told him that he hoped the lock was not to keep kids inside. That someone might call CPS on you if it is. Can you believe that! I bet he does not have kids. We live right off a major highway and my ds does not understand the dangers of keeping away. He is only allowed outside w/an adult.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• put an alarm in
    soysilk

Answer by soysilk at 12:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• We had a keyed lock on our sliding glass door at the townhouse we lived in - my oldest son has autism and used to go out. It's like a little round bolt that goes down at the bottom of the door - you have to drill a hole in the door where the two windows "meet" in the middle and my stepdad says it wouldn't keep a burglar out, but it would keep my then 10 year old in.

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My advice would be to alarm ALL the doors/windows of the house. That's really the only way you're going to be able to keep tabs on them. I'd also suggest installing security cameras down there --- even if it's just one of those baby monitor kind.

If you catch them trying to sneak out & you know where they're going... I say let 'em go & then call the police on 'em. Maybe a set of handcuffs & a ride in the back seat will scare them into staying in at night for a while.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009