Help! I need a Bible Verse! Help me win the bet!

I can't find this, but I KNOW that it's in the Bible. My DH and I have a little bet going on as to who's right.

I KNOW there is a verse in the Bible somewhere that says the husband and wife are to be put before the children. That it goes God, Spouse, Children.

I have read it, I know it's there, I just can't remember where.

greenie11

Asked by greenie11 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why would you put your husband before your child? Sorry, I don't know the verse you are talking about. I have seriously never heard this.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's just a bet...lol. He says it isn't in there, I know it is..lol.
    greenie11

Answer by greenie11 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Isn't betting a sin?
    Anonymous

• I think you will lose the bet! I don't know of any verse that says that specifically. Hubby doesn't either. I do believe that is biblical though-the bible says we leave our parents and cleave to our spouse. Priorities - spouse should be the most important. He is yours for life, your kids will one day have there own family.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Lol, I would say that too if I hadn't read it myself. And yes, betting would be a sin if we were actually betting for something, but we aren't.
    greenie11

Answer by greenie11 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I honestly don't know where you read a verse that said that! Not that I have memorized everything. Lol. I could be wrong. Hubby and I have had 10 years of Bible school together, and neither of us can think of a single verse that says that!! Good luck and please let me know if you figure out the verse you are thinking of!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I went through my topical guide and couldn't find it (though I'll admit, it wasn't the most thorough search)...but there are verses about cleaving unto one another and none other.

But I will give you a quote from one my church leaders: "The best thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother." I believe a strong marriage is the very foundation in which children can thrive. I do put my marriage first for this reason.

That doesn't mean I would ever subject my child to abuse or neglect in order to by loyal to my husband first. But it does mean I'm sure to discuss parenting techniques with my husband, that we're in agreement, so our kids don't pit us against each other...in the end that's what's best for the kids too :)
    Anonymous

• Ummmm first of all many non believers will not know what on earth your talking about and secondly there has never been a true order. It only says Worship the Lord your God and only HIM shall you serve. God is always first above all and everything else follows.
    The order God first, family second ministry last I believe was devised by man.
    If you really want to get techie here. It would be God first then the husband because HE IS the head of the household, then you and the children. However what you do should please your husband, honor him and in so doing the children will learn from you and in that sense they are getting their needs met as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• OP I'm gonna do a little research on this one and come back, nothing is clicking right now, and it maybe that verses from the Bible don't specifically say that but could be interpreted that way. I'll try to come back tomorrow to post anything I find.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• "Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." -Matthew 19:6

"What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." -Mark 10:9
    they become as "ONE"

Did you read that? ... "let not man put asunder." It's as simple as that folks! Nothing but nothing should ever come between husband and wife... nothing! No person or group should ever separate a husband and wife. Notice that nowhere in the Bible does it say that God has joined us to our family, our neighbors or our church. God has only joined the husband and wife, thus it is to be the strongest of all relationships. Unfortunately, society has launched an all-out attack on the marriage.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2009