Stealing baby names--Any one else think this is stupid?

So this afternoon i logged onto my CM account and I had message from another mom (whose name i will not list cuz it is agasint CM rules) Saying that she had seen my home page and congrats on the baby boy but she would aprricate it if i would NOT name him Dawson ( a name that we put a lot of thought into and spent a alot of time coming up with and is pretty unique) Because she had a baby 6 months ago and named him Dawson.. they had ttc for over 2 years and she was determined to not have her child share a name.. I messaged her back and told her congrats on her baby but Im sorry Im not changing my sons name.. I put a lot of thought into it and it will be his name and even if i were to change it someone else im sure will use the name anyways its not copyrighted and any one can use any name they like.. well then i got nasty message saying I was name stealer and not creative and blah blah blah.. Ive always though the idea (cont)

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• of "stealing" a babys name is stupid.. I can see if you name your child something or have a name picked out then a CLOSE family member or friend uses it being upset cuz thats a lil strange and confusing for the kids.. but its still their right.. just wondering who agrees with me on this.. (btw im still not changing it)
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• lmao its not like you knew her baby was named that. i mean my sons name is very very unique and im sure no one will name their son that and if they did i wouldnt care but still. being mean about it is childish. now if she was a friend and you stole the name it would be a diff story, you are never gonna meet this person.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• names are names it doesn't matter there is no such thing is stealing a name and any one to say so is just an idiot
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• hahaha thats funny now to get her more mad i'm gonna call my baby boy dawson
    Anonymous

• does she think her child is the only one in the world with the name Dawson? forget her she is troubled if she went through all that to tell you not to do it
    Anonymous

• yeah there are other people named Dawson.. my nephew for instance who is almost 11.. so hey she stole that name from him!!!!!

lol jk
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I can see not wanting a family member to "steal a name" I was about 12 when my cousin was born and her mom considered naming her Victoria (my name) and although my mom never said anything, she was sort of upset. They ended up going with Mikayla instead. But a person you don't know on cafemom? That's ridiculous! lol

I always thought if I had twins (I'm going on fertility meds, so this is a definite possibility) I would name girls Madeline and Alexandria, but I babysat for twins named Maddy and Allie (different full names but the same nicknames I would use) I can't feeling guilty about stealing those girls names. I've decided I like Madeline and Olivia better anyhow, but who knows if I'll even have one girl! lol
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree that it's stupid. Dawson isn't an over used name but I wouldn't call it unique. What is she thinking. I think of the fat old mouse on The Great Mouse Detective when I hear the name, which I happen to think is super cute.
    I hope that she was just teasing and that the teasing was lost in translation. I feel sorry for her if that's the way she really is.
    Awesome name, I wouldn't change it either.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with everyone, if it's a close friend or family member that's different, but some no one from cyberspace is accusing you of name stealing, she needs to get a life.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• actually i think she stole it from The 90s hit tv show "Dawsons Creek"... thats where my sister got it from haha
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009