how do i get my 4 year old to stay in his bed all night & stop coming downstairs to my bed?

xandersmom

Asked by xandersmom at 8:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL! I'm not sure I would like to be sleeping upstairs by myself either. Is he by himself up there? You might try to add some fun- maybe put in a light that can stay on all night, something fun that lights up his room, play some soft music. Have him pick stuff out for his room so that he enjoys it.

Otherwise, when he comes into your room, be consistent and keep putting him back in his own room.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• every time he comes down stairs to ur bed carry him back to his own bed i had to do this with my oldest dd she would come to my bed in the middle of the night every night it get tireing but it works
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Duct Tape and bungee cords.

No No just kidding!!!! Establish a bedtime routine that you CONSISTANTLT follow.

---Get a nightlight
    ---CONSISTANTLY return him to his OWN bed everytime he gets out.
    ---tell him that his place is in his bed the first time you escort him to bed when he gets up-- then DO NOT SPEAK AT ALL. Just walk him back to bed. No hugs/kisses-- just straight back to bed.

You have to train him to sleep in his own bed. Remember potty training-- expect it to take twice as long.
    BrandiGra

Answer by BrandiGra at 9:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Good luck, lol! We have a 4 year old that gets us up numerous times during the night too. He has never slept with us. All he says is "I need you to take me back to bed and cover me up". We are like "if you stayed in bed you would already be there and covered". Sometimes he goes potty, THEN gets us up to put him back to bed. We have talked to him before bed time about staying in bed, but he still gets up. We just walk him back to bed every time and we are hoping he grows out of it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• if you find something that actually works....let us all know!.....the duct tape and bungee cords are beginning to sound good!!!!.....lol....ours are 7 and 3!!!!!....we're about to start doing with them what we did with the kids we had when we were in childcare.....if they wouldn't stay in bed they got to get up and clean!.....lol....that's probably too much on a 3 - 4yr old but for our 7yr old i'm hoping it will work as well as it did our others before!!!.....lol
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 10:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• What worked for me was getting my son a bigger bed. Not really sure what about it. But it worked INSTANTLY. The only thing I can think of is that he was rolling out of the toddler bed, and just coming to my room.because he was awake.
    MEGAMAMA4REAL

Answer by MEGAMAMA4REAL at 9:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Hey, that getting up to clean idea isn't half bad...
    MEGAMAMA4REAL

Answer by MEGAMAMA4REAL at 9:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Answered at 8:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 by: MEGAMAMA4REAL
    Hey, that getting up to clean idea isn't half bad...

lol....it worked pretty good for the older ones!.....we had a few that were a little more stubborn and it took a few times of doing it.....lol
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 8:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009