we might get a pit bull mix I have a question...

SO has a long experience with dogs since he had one for many years when he was younger. But for me it was cats (and we have a cat) lol. SO's friend is considering giving us one of his dogs (an "outside" dog) due to some problems with him and a female dog. I'm thinking it over, but SO is kinda set on it. well anything I should know about this breed? SO has met him before and said he is very friendly and is good with kids. he is kinda young. I'd hate for him to be an "outside" dog but we will build a nice shelter for him and of course let him in the house once in a while. but I have no experience with dogs! *cont'd*

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pets

• i'm gonna make sure SO asks his friend if the sog is up to date with shots, etc and get info from the local Humane Society about dogs (any free programs they offer) and SO told me he doesnt think the dog is "fixed".
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would never have anything part pit period. And if I did... I would have to have it at 6 weeks and raise from a baby. So I absolutely wouldn't take a part pit (or full pit) after its over probably 12 weeks old. Pits have a bad rep for a reason. My best friend and I get into this ALL the time because she is just a dog lover and has a pit. I believe that not all pits are bad- but how can you be sure the one you get will be good? They have fighting in their blood. I wouldn't get it since its already been partially raised, its been an outside dog so has had lack of attention most likely (i have no problem with dogs being outside dogs either) and you just don't know. Good luck in your decision though.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well SO's friend has a lot of dogs and they all get a lot of attention. O agree with you about it not being the best idea to take the dog since it has been raised for a while by someone else. suddently being in a new environment, new smells, new sounds, new people, might be very stressful to the dog. If I were to say YES, I would want to meet the dog first. I could have the guy bring his dog with him next time he comes by to visit.... the dog already kinda knows SO because he's been at the house before, but that is different than being sent to a brand new home.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If the dog is well socialized, already is familiar and friendly with children (near your children s ages) and has never shown aggression, including food aggression, you could do fine to "try" the dog for a while. Pits are not "bad", poor socialization and aggression training can make them poor choices for family dogs. But as a rule, any breed, well socialized, will make a fine dog.
    Hendrix07

Answer by Hendrix07 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i have had my pitt bull tooty for 5 years now she is a big old baby sleeping in the bed and is very sweet to the kids we also have a 2 year old pitt its from her last litter and he is an outside dog bc he ate my shoes when he is in but he never gave me any trouble with the kids. Remember its not the breed its the owners who make them mean. my MIL chauwawa snaped at my 4 year old i think those dogs are mean. pitt bulls are very loving and protective and make great pets
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have a half pit half lab mix that I got when she was 3 years old. Be cautious introducing too many new things at once, go easy with introducing kids etc too soon and set up boundaries immediately! Ask lots of questions from the previous owner about the dog's temperament, habits, etc. When raised properly, pits are actually very good with children, and make good pets. Proceed with this dog as you would any other new grown dog you would get- let him get adjusted and learn the rules of your house. Good luck with him and you can msg me if you have any questions!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• amy that is BULLSHIT.. pitbulls are sweet kind dogs.. they dont have fighting in your blood, i think you need to shut your stupid mouth up unless you have been around them and have owned on then your opinion don't mean crap, im so sick of the STUPID un educated people giving pitbulls a bad name.. PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!!!!
    Anonymous

• it's all how you treat the dog, it doesn't matter what breed it is. staffordshire bull terriers (pit bulls) and staffordshire terriers are known for being very loyal and protective toward humans, but agressive towards most other dogs. they are also known for being good with children. i have researched both of these breeds, i am a proud parent of a staffordshire terrier. he doesn't get along with most male dogs, but likes some female dogs and he loves cats. he's protective of me and growls at certain people. thats what i like about him, that way i know not to trust that person.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSX61VlLhdQ
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If you own a home, you need to check with your homeowner's insurance to ensure they will continue to insure you once you get the dog. Mine will drop me and pretend they never knew me. You also need to check out the law in your area. Many cities and counties require such breeds to be fenced in if not indoors, and "fenced" in means a top, too. Some areas outright ban them--right or wrong-- and any incident, regardless of fault, may land you with a fine or worse, criminal charges.

I worked as a vet surgical assistant during college, and I found that most pit-mixes are very sweet. Unfortunately, the laws in place don't care that more fault lies with bad owners than bad breeds. Nonetheless, I would be very wary of acquiring a dog with known problems with other dogs.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009