How do you tell your father nicely.......

to stop coming in your home and eating your food? My father has a key to my sister's house and comes over almost everyday and sits there watching TV and eating food. Even when there is no one home. It would not be a problem to my sister except she does not have a job, and is having a hard time finding one. Her husband owns his own tree service and really is only working a few days a week at the best. They are trying to feed 2 adults and a 14 and 13 y/o on about 100.00 a week. My sister splurged yesterday and bought herself some swiss cheese and today while she was gone my father ate half the package and most of the bread. She was practically in tears because she can't figure out what to say to him with out hurting his feelings. He does not contribute to groceries but eats lunch and sometimes dinner there every day. He has money. More than any of us. He also just lets himself in when ever and almost walked in on them..U know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Why does he have a key to her house?
    Anonymous

• Take the key away! He's obviously completely clueless or simply doesn't care about the impact he's having on them. If he's there every day for two meals, he should see that they're just getting by. Unfortunately, in that situation, there is no way she can tell him to stop without hurting his feelings. She's going to have to be honest and let him know that they cannot afford to continue feeding him his meals on their tight budget. She should also explain that he is literally taking the food out of the mouths of his grandchildren!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• He used to live there while his house was being built and she has never asked for it back. She feels bad asking. He had one to my house too and when we moved I made sure not to give him one just for this reason. I don't like people having access to my house when ever. My sister has a key because she watches my kids and I know she wont take advantage of coming in my house.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, there really isn't any way around hurting his feelings. She just needs to sit him down && talk to him about it, nicely. She can give him the option to either help pay for the groceries or eat somewhere else. If he doesn't already know their financial situation, then she can explain it to him, although it's really none of his business. Even if they were doing well financially, he is a grown man && should take care of himself.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• change the locks
    Anonymous

• say 'dad, you've been eating all our food, we love you, but please stop. we don't have enough money to feed you too.'
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• tell her to put a lock on the fridge. that should get the point across. :-)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ..and my FIL brings us food!...
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2009