What kind of pet should i get my 2yr old daughter?

My daughter is 2yrs old and i wanted to buy her a pet. I'm wondering what type of pet should I get her. Does any other moms have pets for there 2yr olds if so let me know and what kind. thanks

My2ButterFlys

Asked by My2ButterFlys at 9:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DD just turned 3 last month and we're working on a gerbil or hamster right now. I think she'd love chasing it around the little ball thing. We considered a bird but it's not as cuddly so she wouldn't be as into it
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i think a kitten would be good cats dont require as much attention as a dog does
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Well, my husband let our 2 year old pick out a fish at Wal-Mart. That specific day was about the only interest she had in it since we brought it home lol. I would say a hamster would be a good pet. They are somewhat low maintenance and she can learn to help clean it's cage and start grasping the concept of caring for a pet. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Fish tank/Aquarium kids love to watch the fish swim and watch them eat the fish food and fish are the easiest pets in my opinion :)
    saraloutoni

Answer by saraloutoni at 9:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Fish or a guinea pig. Guinea pigs are a bit larger than hamsters and gerbils, and a LOT less likely to bite. They love to be cuddled, but they do take some maintenance which a 2 year old won't be able to do, such as the litter and cage cleaning. A fish would be less maintenance but can't be held or cuddled, so it really depends on how much work you want to put into the new pet, and how much contact you want her to have. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son has a dog. Dogs are wonderful animals, and first time pets... My 26 month old feeds his, brushes her and helps bath her (when he helps we use baby shampoo). She's a small mixed breed. I love big dogs, but they worry me around smaller children. It's very easy for them to hurt the child by knocking them down. And if you do get a dog, I would suggest getting a smaller breed, and either a puppy or a dog who's already great with children.
    I also think fish make great first time pets... Younger children really enjoy watching them, and they're easy to maintain.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• hibbingmom.... My brother has a small parrakeet (sp?) and my two year old does wonderfully with it... The bird will even sit on his lil fourwheeler as my son rides it. He really enjoys it... I have a pic or two of him on here if ya'd like to see...

I was bit by a hamster so they freak me out now... haha, yeah i'm scared of hamsters
    and I've heard gerbils are very noisey, but can't verify that
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• we have a variety of animales ranging from rodents, reptiles, to cats and dogs and even a horse....i would suggest getting a hamster and handleing it at the pet store to make sure it doesnt bite...most rodants wont tolerate being handled by a lo who will most likely squeeze them ot get rough with them...personally if i hadnt already had my animales when dd was born i would have started with a cat or dog or if i wanted something that could live ina tank then i wqould have gotten a rat. my rats r handles by my ss who just turned 3 and they will put up with more as far ad rough kiddy handleing that would be my recomandation
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• We have a cat and a hamster. Our cat has 3 kittens, but we'll be giving 2 of them away. He doesn't get to play with the hamster much because he tries to hit. When he does that with the cat, she just runs off. He's learning to pet her, though.
    We had a dog at one point and that worked out great until my husband got sick and we had to travel back and forth to another base. Dogs need too much attention; you can't leave them for a day and a half. But if you have the time, dogs are great.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Get her whatever YOU want to take care of and be responsible for. It may be her pet in name, but yours in reality.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2009