My 5 year old has a cell phone. (Not what u think)

We have an old cell phone that is not activated but everything on it works, she plays with it. Is this safe? I have checked that the battery can not come off easily or with her trying to get it off. I had the idea of letting her carry it in her little play purse when we go out if (God forbid) anything happen to her (like getting lost say at Disneyland or something) all our numbers are listed on its phonebook, she can say my mommy's number is in here. She also carries my business card in her bag with my numbers should I just let her do that? Obviously giving her an activated phone is going too far, this is a serious question, please don't bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hmmm might she be able to call 911 by mistake? You might get in trouble??
    saraloutoni

Answer by saraloutoni at 9:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I think thats a good idea theres nothing wrong with being careful and prepared for the what if's! This sounds like your a great mom! With her carrying it in her play purse makes it even better so she'll always know how to find you if god forbid she gets lost or something!
    takimia

Answer by takimia at 9:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I don't see where it would be anything bad. When my godchildren come to my house (I don't have any kids yet- pg with first) I let them play with an old phone of mine. I love the idea of having the phone book still active! That's a very good idea.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my 4 year old has one too and she even learned how to take pictures on it...she dont leave the house without it...plus i superglued the back to it just incase it did come off. i think its okay.
    Anonymous

• She will still be able to use it to call 911 so you better be careful. As far as the phone book idea and even having a pic of mom and dad on there is a good idea. I might erase some of the other contacts in your address book too and make sure any pics she has are okay. Just in case she might loose it too you don't want someone weird knocking on someone else's door. But she will be able to use it to call 911 (which is good and bad if she does it on accident). The other thing to check is if the battery is still in good condition. If there are any decay or white areas near the prongs of the battery, she shouldn't be using it since these are signs of leakage. I hope this helps- just a few things I picked up from my hubby who used to work for alltel.
    gigs5liz

Answer by gigs5liz at 8:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Can you block 911 until she understands it? I think this is a good question and was just wondering?
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You need to be very careful because she can still call 911, even though there is no active service. If that happens you can be charged a fine of around $500 for an unnecessary 911 call. The police still have to come out even if it is a child doing so. There is no way to block the emergency mode on a cell phone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• thank you to all who made suggestions, even though the phone is not activated I didn't know 911 could still be dialed, I will make sure she understands the importance of 911, thank again everyone
    Anonymous