what makes a baby constipated?? is it iron over-load?

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• soy makes my daughter constipated.

Answer by vickwu at 9:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• if the baby is on formula that's a common reason, but lots of things can

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I second gypseymama- if your baby is on formula, the iron is probably what's doing it. There is less iron in breastmilk, but the iron in formula is so harsh that it can actually cause fissions, making it more difficult to absorb the iron.

• From what I've read from baby center, iron does not make them constipated. You can try switching formulas if that's what you are feeding her. I had good luck with enfamil gentle but every child is different. Her doc suggested we give her a half ounce-one ounce of 100% prune juice twice daily. We just give her half an ounce a day. That seemed to do the trick. The first time we gave it to her we gave her a full ounce. BIG MISTAKE! Good Luck

Answer by msfila1980 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• im strictly breastfeeding her....

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• is she actually contipated? meaning small hard ball like poops or is she just ging days without pooping? It is common for EBF babies to not poop for several days. My nephew would only go once a week. BM is so full of nutrients that there isn't much waste, which can means less poops.

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009