How long can a bottle of made formula sit before you must throw it out?

My ds is 3 weeks and with my first son I breastfed and with this one I am formula feeding, the hospital said after an hour to throw it away but it seems like thats wasting alot of formula. How long can it really sit before it must be thrown out, I know people and they let it sit for 3 to 4 hours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No more than an hour if not refrigerated.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• 1 -1 1/2 hours
    beyond that it is not good and giving it to baby is not good for them
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I let mine sit for no longer than two hours... but i would put it in the fridge and reheat it
    ryrysyf

Answer by ryrysyf at 9:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If you are wasting alot of formula, cut down on how much you are giving at a time.. and just make it more frequently. Thats what we did
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If the bottle has not been sucked on, it is good for 2 hours unrefr. If it has been used, it's good for one hour afterwards. If you mix it and she doesn't touch it, it is good for 24 hours ref. I know I've gone past mfg recommended time. I just wouldn't push it too far. You can always make less and add later
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't let it sit in room temp for much more than an hour. I would make smaller bottles if he isn't eating much yet. When my girls were little I would measure out all of their bottles for the day and throw it all in a pitcher and keep it in the refridgerator for the day. It was a lot easier for me with having twins then to have to make a bottle every hour. I would just pour it in and heat it up. Someone said about reheating bottles but I personally wouldn't do that. It just seems gross to me. I don't know. I didn't really waste a lot of formula doing it the way that I did it. Good luck!
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2009