Moms whose kids have had testing, particularily IQ, Stanford Binet types

We're a few days away from my sons results meeting and I am a wreck... if he's GIFTED I'll be freaked out I will ruin him and he'll end up cleaning floor instead of an astronaut. If he's anything less, I have a laundry list of other concerns/anxieties. How will I ever look at him the same way, etc. How did you deal and what questions do I ask the doc?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in

• It is critical to keep a gift child's brain stimulated.

If you have any questions, you may send me a message offlist. You can also join the CafeMom group for parenting gifted children

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son has never had an IQ test and I don't care what any standarized tests says my son knows. Some kids can take tests and some cannot. I know how intelligent my child is and don't worry about tests that a computer scores. You are placing too much empasis on test scores and not what you know your child is capable of doing. Relax.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Take a deep breath. Your job as mom is to love your child, give him a foundation of confidence (this starts by not qualifying who is he, how successful he can or can not be based on a test, etc), as well as giving him values to grow upon and the opportunities to explore his potential. Don't put so much emphasis on a test. There's so much more to intellect and application of intellect than a test result.

To answer your original question, neither of my kids has taken an IQ test - at least not to date. Both are extremely bright. My son is about to start 2nd grade and has been evaluated (without the benefit of a test, admittedly) as possessing high intellect, infinite curiosity and a knack for picking things up quickly. He's put in enrichment programs geared for kids 1 to 2 grade levels above him to keep him challenged. Yet to us, he's still just Logan. We love him. We nurture him. We give him what he needs to stay challenged.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You need to relax. This isn't about you it is about your child. If he is gifted the school most likely has resources to help him academically. He could decide to still clean floors no matter how gifted he is. You could have a child that is not gifted who becomes the President. You control how you treat and raise him. Be the mom you always have been regardless of if he is gifted or not. If he is being tested he is probably a darn smart kid.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• wow. They're just numbers on a paper. Of course you should help your child become all that s/he can, but you are coming off as pretty militant about it.
    Anonymous

• Your son is still the same kid he was before taking the test.

Gifted means lots of things, but it doesn't mean "troubled" or "perfect." Obviously he's bright or they wouldn't be testing. If he qualifies you most likely have options for what to do about it, including doing nothing. If he doesn't you still have a very bright child. It's a win win situation.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Both my children are in the gifted program, one is very highly gifted and one just made the cutoff. I honestly couldnt tell you any difference in their intelligence. I am glad they were tested because they needed the stimulation and being labeled gifted really did the one who is borderline a world of good. She sees herself as smart and really has raised expectations of herself. I think parents greatly influence how a child sees him or herself. I will tell you this, sometimes gifted children have trouble in school because they think differently than others. This needs to be nurtured and its not militant for you to be concerned. You do have to realize that they will struggle with certain things and just because they are gifted, not everything will ( and should) come easy to them.
    I tell my kids no matter what they become I expect them to do their very best at that.
    good luck! relax!
    giftmom

Answer by giftmom at 9:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• wow. Why are you getting your child's IQ tested? Seriously like growth charts they're just numbers. Is this so you can push your child to excel? Cause that doesn't always work...I graduated with a guy who's parents were teachers and forced him to maintain high grades, went to West Point was failing his first year and to afraid to tell his parents. Well he hung himself instead of telling his parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009