Road Trip

We're about to drive from California to Missouri with our 15 month old son. We drove the opposite direction when he was just a few days old, but he slept most of the way. Any tips or suggestions? We're taking his favorite toys. The parent who isn't driving will be sitting in the back playing with the baby. We'll have snacks and drinks. What else?

allans_girl

Asked by allans_girl at 9:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Girl, I just did a 14 hour trip with my 2 year old. I asked a similar question and was given the BEST ANSWER EVER! Therefore I will pass this on to you: Go to the dollar store or even better the 99 cent store. Buy a bunch of new "junk" toys and books, bubbles, and various things. Keep them hidden until hour number 2 in the car. Each hour or two bring out a new toy. My daugther did so well that I still am in shock. She did not cry or fuss for the first 5.5 hours! (and usually we can not drive 10 miles without her fussing).
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• We drove from FL to OR last year when my DD was 18 mos, I had a bunch of her fav toys (stuffed animals, dolls, & blanket mostly) along with books she loved reading, and also crayons, coloring books, and the Crayola color wonder markers & books (the ones that only write on special paper). Plus lots of easy snacks (cookies, crackers, fruits like apples & blueberries).
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 10:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I love the other answers. I would also recommend getting a soft tray that attatches to the car seat. That way your little one will have something to color and play with some toys on.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 11:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks so much; that sounds like a great idea.
    It's a 25 hour drive straight through with easy traffic. We're definitely stopping somewhere for at least 1 night.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• make sure you ask his doctor about something to give him incase of car sickness, i took my son when he was 22 mos from texas to missouri and he got car sick, the doc told me to give him a 1/2 teaspoon od benadryl so i would ask to be on the safe side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Thanks.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 1:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2009