HELP I ONLY WANTED TO BREASTFEED UNTIL MY BABY GOT TEETH!

She's only 4 months old and just got her first 2 teeth... I don't know what to do though because she refuses the bottle.... plese help!

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 9:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teeth aren't so bad. I gave my son teething tablets about 30 minutes before feeding him and he rarely bit.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Continue to nurse. Most babies will test their teeth and give you a little nibble, but it is what is best for baby. If you want to quit nursing then that is okay too. She will eventually take a bottle or you can try a sippy cup with a silicone top like a nuby one. I wish you luck which ever you decide. I know quitting is a hard decision and I did it when my LO was 7 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Are the teeth causing any issues?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• dont stop breastfeeding for that reason be proud you are doing what is best for her and if you need help seek it... call a local LLL or just grab a book and read how to get through this...
    my son never bit me so I can't help you out
    with my dd I had to use a breast shield and so I never had that problem with her either but it certainly would not stop me from doing what is best for my kid
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• keep breastfeeding. teeth is not a sign baby is ready to stop breastfeeding.
    my daughter is barely 5 months and is on her third tooth. im not stopping until about a year.

what if your baby was born with a tooth? just keep breastfeeding. the only time a tooth should come into place and bite down on your nipple is when baby isnt sucking properly. When they are sucking properly, the tongue is between your nipple and their tooth so it should not hurt you.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You can try a nipple shield if you are worried about the baby biting you.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I said the same thing, but now here we are 3 months after his first teeth.. When he first got those two it felt like I had just started bfing again, but then after a week it was better again, now he has 6 teeth and we really don't have any problems. So it's your choice, but it's really not that bad.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• DD had 4 time by the time she was a year & she weaned herself. She bit a couple times but it was because she was bored & playing. I ended the nursing session right then & she learned it wasn't ok to bite. When they are nursing & latched on properly, you can't tell they have teeth & they do not interfere with nursing.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I said the same think after my son was born. . . 18 months later I weened him. If you can/want to I would continue to BF. If your daughter bites, don't shout or say ouch (it starts a game) but simply unlatch your little one, say "no bite" and give a minute then relatch and continue feeding. . . My guy bit me 5 or 6 times after he got teeth but he learned that biting ended nursing so he was more careful.

However it is your decision and you shouldn't let our opinions influence what you decide to do. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your decision. If you do decide to ween you may need someone else feed her the first couple times so she accepts the bottle. . . I had to pump and feed while I was taking classes and my son would not take a bottle from me but would from his dad. . . go figure. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009