SLEEPING ISSUES WITH BABY

MY SON IS ONE WEEK OLD AND I WAS WONDERING CAUSE HE SLEEPS ALL THE TIME AND DOESNT WAKE UP EVERY TWO HOURS TO BREASTFEED IS THAT NORMAL OR SHOULD I WAKE HIM. EVEN THREW THE NIGHT HE WONT WAKE UP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As I was told by many, during the day wake him every 3 hours to feed, and at night let him go 5hrs then wake. Just from my experience.
    KellyOhara

Answer by KellyOhara at 10:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Newborn babies can sleep A LOT! I agree with KellyOhara, sounds like she hit it right on the head. Maybe your baby will suck while sleeping. My daughter is one of the best sleeping feeders ever.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• yes wake him during the day especially....at night...let him sleep...it wont hurt him at all! two good things to wake him up that wont hurt him is to one..unwrap him...cold air will stimulate him awake...or thump gently the bottom of his foot....it doesnt hurt him at all...and it will wake him up...and i guarantee he wont cry with either of these!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had this exact question a couple of weeks ago. I was sooo worried about it because she would sleep almost through the night, and I was afraid something horrible was going to happen if she didn't get up to eat at night enough times. I was told that if the baby is gaining weight like they should be to let them sleep a couple hours before waking them to eat. I agree with blueeyedgrl about how to wake them up.. but I also try changing her diaper and that usually works well with her. Sometimes she is just toooo sleepy to eat, and the dr said sometimes they will get like that...during the night mainly..where when you try to wake them they will try to eat for like a minute and just be zonked.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• wow how much does he sleep? lucky. my son at the newborn stage did not sleep a lot at all. ugh I got loopy at times. I prayed he would sleep more.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009