Is it normal for kids to talk to themselves?

Okay my son has complete conversations with himself like there are several people in the room and he is speaking for each of them. He uses different pitches to distinguish each person that he is speaking for at that moment. I work from home and am working right now and he is sitting here on the living room floor playing and I cant help noticing ALLLL the people he is playing with...lol. He is playing with this little airplane and he keeps getting on and off the couch. He will be sitting there and he will say in a mean voice "Get off that couch right now" then he will roll onto the floor and say " OW OW I fell down" then he will say in a concerned voice " Hey are you okay over there, did you hurt your arm" then he will say " Oh I am okay". That is just an example of the past couple minutes...

Do you kids do that sort of thing?

joelsmommy

Asked by joelsmommy at 10:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's normal that's him using his imagination which is good my almost four year old does that to
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• oh god my daughter does the same thing!!!! she will play with inanimate objects though...things that arent even toys! like straws, chopsticks...ect...i was worried about this too..she has a ton of toys so never understood why she talked to them...or used them to talk to things that werent there...same idea as to what your kid does! its good to know im not the only parent with a kid that has a very STRONG imagination!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yes my kids do it all the time and it is so funny. I really think its normal. I have 4 girls and they play together and 2 of them like to play more by their selves and they play school. I swear that Aylscia has 20 kids in her class room (imaginary) and even disciplines them. My 2 year old dose this also. Hey at least they keep themselves occupied. LOL

Anonymous

• Sounds like your son has a healthy wonderful imagination! lol When I was 12 I babysat a 4 year old girl who would talk to herself every night i put her to bed... i was still kinda young myself... so it would creep me out and i thought she was talking to ghosts or something... she just had imaginary friends. that's all..... I'm 26 and she's 18 now... I told her and we laugh about it
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It is normal, and he has a great imagination!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's normal and part imagination and part normal brain development - children don't "internalize" their thoughts first, they externalize them - that's why they often have conversations with themselves and pretend conversations with othersbecause their brains haven't internalized their thought processes yet.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son does as well especially today he told his truck it was mean because it kept rolling off his Bat cave. i love it because he is using his imagination!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My children would put on whole theaterical productions. It was hilarious:D And I would have to admit, I talk to myself when I am working out a problem. For me, it helps the thought process.
    cyaburt

Answer by cyaburt at 11:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My 4 yr old loves to act out different scenarios with his toys, he really like his army men though!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009