blood tests before getting married.. ?

I have a wedding planning book, and one of the tasks to cheack before getting married is to get blood tests done. What would it be for? Is it required, or just something you can do? thanks.

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• Ohio you dont have to get a blood test
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Every state is different. Check what is required to get a marriage license. For me I just had to prove or get tested that I had been vaccinated for rubella.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i'm not sure....but sometimes there are certain diseases where if both parenst have the it then it is very dangerous when havinga baby. ex: thalassemia (alpha and beta)..............u could ask ur doctor though.....i'm sure she/he will tell u if they are or aren't necessary
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• This used to be the law in many states but it is seldom required anymore. My husband and I decided to each get head-to-toe std checks so we could have unprotected sex with no worries but this was our choice and not required by our state.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Many states don't require this anymore, but mine did til about 2004/2005. One reason for doing it was for health reasons and to make sure disease was not being spread or passed to kids. Also, a blood test can determine if a couple is related to each other. Now most states just make you sign the marriage license, which, in my state, asks if you knowingly are getting married while knowing you are related...if you lie, you will be held liable for that info....
    Anonymous

• we didnt have to have one.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• we had to have blood test done and we found out that we had blood type and that we had a few things that told us if we had children there would be birth defects and they where right. both of our youngest two children have birth defects and issues and we have to deal with it for life and it is wonderful that we knew a head of time. our oldest two are healthy but with one with MD. and the other with OI. it is not easy but it is worth it . Always get a blood test
    bamamom2212

Answer by bamamom2212 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009