Is your child pretending to be someone or something else?

Last month my son wanted to be called NEMO now this month he wants to be called BOLT. You cant call him Ethan, little man, handsome man, or anything without him saying " no me Bolt" I told him that when he goes to school in a week that he has to be Ethan and not Bolt and he does seem to understand. My question is this, is this normal?

I have an older daughter who is 8 and she never pretended like that. So I am just not sure.

Cheryl

crabrams

Asked by crabrams at 10:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my ds was little he insisted we call him John for about a month! His name is Scott.

The other day, my gs, who is 3, said I had to call him PawPaw, he was PawPaw for the day. He is starting to do this more now too, for 3 days a few weeks ago, he made me call him Dora!!

This is normal, it is their imagination developing. I have noticed that boys do it more than girls though.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• That is good. I was starting to wonder. Thank you
    crabrams

Answer by crabrams at 10:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son is two, almost three, and has been using different characters for well over a year. First it was he was a dog and acted like a dog for a long time. Then snake, that was interesting seeing him slither around. Many more since then. But his lastest is raccoon and he has enlisted us to be in his raccoon family. I'm not sure what is next but hopefully something that doesn't involve him riding on my back or grooming me. The eating bugs out of my hair like a monkey was sometimes not always convienent.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• LOL Both my kids do stuff like that... they are (girl) 5 & (boy) 3!! I have 2 BOLT's running around for hours at times... barking and licking things and all!! I can tell they both have HUGE imaginations... and can also play great alone (if needed) because of it. IMO it's normal. I also notice my sone does it more then my daughter too. ;o)
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My two youngest give their names as Superman, Batman, Robin, Spiderman or Flash depending on what day it is and how the planets are aligned.

My oldest has PDD-NOS and refuses to pretend to be anyone else...he has to be "just Connor". He will be generic people...fireman, policeman, etc...but will not be anyone with a name. He also will not wear anything resembling a costume.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes, my DD goes through all her favorite TV characters and family members... as well as being a puppy/kitty on any given day! It's normal... their imagination at work.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• frustratedI have a daughter who trys to be Michael Jackson, and she is 19 but don't like to be called Jessica which is her name. Very stranges to me. Becky

Rebecca523

Answer by Rebecca523 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My older son, at about 4, wanted to be called Zanebo (like Rambo). My younger son, at the same age, would walk around with a doll and purse and say "call me Claire" and would cry if you called him his real name.

Both grew out of it, thankfully. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• He sounds like fun.... there will be other Bolts at school and a few Spidermans and Power Rangers too!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• He's creative!!!!!! I wish more kids used their imagination.I consider you Lucky!!! Have fun!!

kite

moomers

Answer by moomers at 10:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2009