Weight???

Has anyone else had their Dr. be excited by how much weight you are loosing during pregnancy?
I saw my doc yesterday and he is happy about how much weight i have lost (i can't say i am not happy about it also) I am not worried because i am over weight anyway but my Dr actually said at the rate i am going i will probably be about 50 pounds lighter by the time i have the baby than b4 i got pregnant. I just found it funny and i wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
So you have background on this i started my pregnancy at 320 and i dropped to 308 in the first tri then i went up to 314 two weeks ago and i am back at 308. I eat anything i want when i feel hungry and i am not trying to loose i am 23 weeks pregnant. Doctor says everything is great and because of the weight loss he thinks thats why my blood pressure is dropping a little.

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Congrats!!!! I have lost only a couple pounds. My doctor isb't excited like yours, but she is not at all concerned. I am currently 190.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I lost 21 with my first, 23 with my second and so far 10 with this one and my morning sickness isnt gone yet. I HIGHLY doubt that you will lose 50 pounds during your pregnancy though but I see it VERY odd that your doctor is excited about your weight loss! Is it possible that you had an under active thyroid? If you did, pregnancy sometimes evens it out and when that gets under control, you will lose weight.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It would be called hyperthyroidism and to rule that out it is a simple blood test...and is pretty well managed by meds... I have hypothyroidism which has made me gain 50 lbs. over 3 years and gave me hypertension and made this pregnancy "high risk."

A doctor should be concerned about the weight loss...especially during a pregnancy. Just because your overweight it doesnt mean anytimeis a good time to lose 20 lbs... Please go see a family physician and say you want to have your thyroid hormone levels checked... Then write me back!
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 11:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have been checked time and time again for ALL the reasons that i couldn't loose weight in the past and now they checked my thyroid and all to make sure i don't have a problem with hypothyroidism and its just that my metabolism is actually working now that i am pregnant and b4 it was virtually turned off.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Recent medical info says that it is just fine for very overweight women to lose weight. If you are eating healthy and the baby is healthy there is nothing to worry about. I eat healthy and less when I am pregnant. I just get full faster and end up losing or only gaining 10 pounds (which ultimately means I lost weight). Personally I wonder why I don't just eat healthy when I am not pregnant! Lol! Then maybe I would lose then too!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I just want to say congrats!! I wish I was losing.. I've gone from 296 to 312.. makes me a very unhappy person that i went over that 300 mark.. after this baby I swear to god its going away :-P

I'm happy for you.. I can see why your doctor is excited for you :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You have enough fat stores to provide for your baby during pregnancy, so it is actually okay for you to lose weight. (Not trying to be mean, it's just a fact). Anyone who is even a little over weight can safely gain as little as 15 lbs during pregnancy due to her body providing for the baby with what is already there. Being very overweight makes it safe, and actually healthy, to lose weight during pregnancy. Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2009