DS is going to elementary school for prek

My son is going to an elementary school for prek this fall. My question is for those that have a preschooler in an actual elementary school, how many of you volunteer in the classroom?

mom0f2under2

Asked by mom0f2under2 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in

• I mainly tag along for field trips... that's how I feel most useful.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Our preschool is in the gradeschool. I'm a room parent for my older kids, but the preschool has an aide. The only time they need volunteers is for field trips - they need parents to drive. I do it as often as I can when I actually have a kid in preschool. That's the extent of it for preschool.
    Anonymous

• I volunteered when needed ... even now with my gs going into the 3rd grade...
    Now tho it's mostly going on field trips and just donating goodies during the holidays...
    he has gotten to that stage that he doesn't think he needs me in school much now...LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Jaydas prek accepts all volunteer work her teacher said parents are welcome to come and play,read,or do errands for the teachers(ie:run copies,cut out different things,paint,glue,and go on field trips.)
    Haylie08

Answer by Haylie08 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son is also going to Pre-K at an Elementary school. I go to school all day Monday-Thursday but I have Fridays off so I would love to volunteer on Fridays. We get to meet his teacher next Wednesday and I plan on letting her know then that I am available if she needs me. If not then I will volunteer in the office or library.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my baby starts on the 18th (w00t!!! im so excited!!!) i will be volunteering as much as i can! when he was in the preschool program when we were in ND, i was at as much as i can. i had no problem taking off. i did it becuase i loved it! my son knows i'm always there to support him. i wishi could get a job at his school come to think of it......
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I am an actual teacher in a preschool. If you want to volunteer, ask the teacher, "I'm off on Thursdays, can I come help with an art project or a small group reading lesson?" Be specific with your question. If the teacher knows you are really interested in a certain subject area, then she may let you assist. However, don't stay all day, because then it feels like you don't trust the teacher. Also, if the kids are in your group, don't let them run around. Let them know you mean business!
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009