My 19 month old son won't stay asleep at bedtime and has an anger issue. help!!

My 19 month old son wakes up in the morning around 9am. Than around 2pm he falls asleep for about an hour. Around 8-9pm he goes to bed. But lately he has been waking up at like 2am and staying awake until 5am. He will be fussy, than after he finishes his sippy, he will be hyper and energetic. Whenever we go near him, he thinks we are going to pick him up. When he realizes we are not there to pick him up, he freaks out!! He also has been kinda physical. When he is fussy or doesn't get his way, he will kick us, yell, scratch us, pinch us. I don't know if his 4 year old sister has rubbed off on him or if that is normal. I don't know if you are supposed to discipline a child that young, I never have before because I figured he is just a baby and is curious. Please help!!

littlefield.ash

Asked by littlefield.ash at 10:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• im sorry i dont agree with you gaillll....if you constantly pick a child up...they wont have it any other way...and as he gets heavier and heavier its going to be harder and harder on you....on top of that if he gets used to it it might be the only way eventually he will fall asleep...to be held...and then it will get to the point where he even flips out when you go out the door...its okay to deny your child once in a while...it doesnt hurt him...as far as him waking up...make sure hes not teething...or it could even be a growth spurt....both can cause sleeplessness and grumpyness....my youngest would grow so fast she would get pains in her legs...we didnt knwo what was wrong with her, she was waking up at night and restless...and we noticed once she was rubbing her leg...her ped told us thats what it probably was and to give her tylenol if she acts in pain...and she would grow out of it eventually....everything should be fine
    Anonymous

• Why don't you pick him up? It's normal for a child to be upset when he is not picked up when he needs to be. If you keep doing this and he starts giving up it is called learned helplessness. He is learning you won't meet his needs.

He may be acting that way when he is fussy because his needs aren't met enough, he hears too many no's, and he is really frustrated. You would be really frustrated if you were in his little tennis shoes.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Give him a dose of tylenol, and consider taking him to the doc to have his ears checked. He could have an ear infection, but he's also the age he could be getting some sucky teeth. The tylenol would help with either problem.
    Anonymous