How well do children speak around their 3rd Birthdays?

Right after my son turned two his doctor wanted to have him evaluated for a speach delay but I felt it was a little too early. Only a few weeks later his speach started showing huge inprovements. He turned three about a month ago and he is now speaking in complete 5 or more work sentences. He speaks very clearly. I feel like he is a little ahead at this point. I was just wondering how other kids his age are speaking. He will sit and "picture read" books. He makes up entire stories based on pictures. He has tons of stuff memorized and if I say a word he doesnt know he will repeat it and begin to use it properly in sentences. It seems like he picks things up very quickly. I am wondering if anyone else thinks this advanced for the age or is it normal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 2 year old speaks very well and has a excellent memory ( I cant even believe it sometimes), but my other 2 did not speak like this at her age or remember the way she dose. I think all kids are different and go at their own speed. My 2ed DD was that way and didn't even speak really at 2 but when she started she went 90 to nothing. You have nothing to worry about.

Anonymous

• Depends on the kid. They're all different. I have 4 and they were all at different levels at 3.
    Anonymous

• depends on how many kids your son hangs with. i had three older sisters at that age so i could talk pretty good. My younger brother had five older siblings and we had to learn to him say what he wanted instead of just pointing at something and whine.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• They are all different like the other moms said. My son made 3 monday and he has full blown conversations. He's like talking to a little adult.LOL He will even correct our speech on certain things. He counts, knows his abc's, colors and shapes.
    Anonymous

• I think doctors are a little quick to send moms to speach therapists these days. My sons doctor said to send him to a speach therapist at 18 months. I didn't listen to his advice and low and behold my now 4 year old speaks fluent english and some spanish. He began really speaking clearly and fully around 26 months.
    Anonymous

• It really does depend on the child. My oldest was speech delayed. At 2.5 he had the verbal ability of a 12 month old but the comprehension of a 4-5 yr old. (I had him tested as he never, ever babbled.) By about 3.5 he was speaking in full sentences and we could understand the majority of what he said. By 6 no one could tell that his speech had been delayed. His younger sister babbled, and spoke much earlier, but not always clearly. Then there was my 3rd child. His 1st word was at 9 months and he was speaking in full sentences by 18 months. He actually answers questions for his older sibs. Crazy. So, they are all different.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• At 3 years others should be able to understand about 90% of what the preschooler says.

You're lucky he took off like that. Too often, parents think it's too early for help or that the kid will catch up and a serious problem is missed, or the kid ends up struggling to catch up to his peers when it wasn't necessary.

My 2 year old talks like what you describe, but with some articulation problems. My 3 year old speaks and works on a kindergarten level, but also has articulation problems. My 5 year old speaks and works on an 8 year old level (full conversations at 18 months)

Based on what you have written and past conversations with our speech therapist, your son is right on target.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• All kids are different. My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months.

Getting your son evaulated won't hurt, and if there is an issue, eraly intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• All different. My youngest turned 3 in April and has been using complete sentences since she was 18 months and could carry on a conversation with full descriptions and such by 2. She speaks as well as most 4 year olds now. She cracks me up with the stuff she says and talks about. She loves to describe TV shows she has seen and tells me stories all the time.
    My middle daughter was barely using phrases at 3. She didn't say her first word until 16 months and only knew 2 words at 18 months. At 2 she knew like 12 words. At 3 she was just starting to use 3 word phrases and short sentences. Her dr. finally relented and said she had a speech delay at that point but she never got help for it. She's almost 7 now, going into 2nd grade and talks fine although she mumbles a lot so is hard to understand a lot of the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2009