How can I get my nine year old and six year old to get along?

jcmom3

Asked by jcmom3 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ha, when you figure it out, patent it, you'll make millions!
    Anonymous

• unfortunately there is no easy answer...try to find activities they both enjoy doing and have them do it together...but also once in a while have a special night with just one...it boosts their confidence and it can overlap in how they play together......they will always fight! you cant stop that...but what you can do is try to make the good times they have together....memorable...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• qait until they are 29 and 26 and you will be amazed at how well they get along
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• yeah, sorry but for some reason, three years apart especially if they are both the same gender seems to be the worst. My sister and I were the same as your children, and honestly the only thing you can do is wait it out. It evens out right about when the oldest one leaves the house! My sis and I are now 35 and 32, and we can get along when we want too, but there's still times she acts like she's a kid.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• probably won't happen for a very long time.
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 11:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• think of an activity where they have to work together that they would want to do. It worked on Super Nanny. One time she had 2 girls build a garden together and another time she had rock climbing. They had to support each other or the garden would fail or they would fall.
    My kids aren't old enough to try this yet, but I'm sure I'll have to do it eventually.
    Faye-Tula

Answer by Faye-Tula at 12:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• five years between my kids. one boy one girl. Fought like cat and dog they did. Now I have grand kids and gotten a little better at resolving conflicts. If they fight in my car we stop and they get out and stand there until they say they are ready to stop it. We do it again if they do not stop and three we go home and get a sitter or all stay home. Usually stopping helps. The other things is putting in bedrooms but not their own, and adults, they are just no fun. Rides in my car a much more peaceful now I ask the offenders if I need to stop so they can get out of the car to calm down ;t want to leave the store. My grand daughter, age 5 wanted something and I said no , so let the fit begin. she sceamed all the way to the car. When we got to the car I did not unlock it and she asked why? I told her kids that throw fits do not get in my car and she was to tell me when she was done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2009