Why do people think you shouldn't loose weight while pregnant? And how do you feel about women who take eating for two way too seriously?

I ask this following a question about my Dr being happy i am loosing weight while pregnant. The reason i ask is that when i told my family i have lost 12 pounds and i am 23 weeks pregnant they are all like you need to eat more you shouldn't loose weight you need to gain weight.

Do you think this is because so many people take being pregnant as an excuse to eat everything and gain lots of weight?
I have quite a few friends who were at very healthy weights pre-pregnancy but during and after they ate everything and didn't exercise and now they can't drag themselves off the couch to clean the house. They aren't depressed they admit they are being lazy to anyone who asks.
So what do you think of mothers who let themselves and their homes go during and after pregnancy?
I would think you would take better care of yourself when you have a baby relying on you than when it was just you relying on yourself.

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I've had a lot of problems during my pregnancy but luckily I had friends who helped out keeping up with the things I couldn't do (I wasn't allowed to vacuum, mop, do laundry or lift anything over 15 pds). I gained a total of 40 pds while pregnant, even with walking. I think as long as the baby is healthy the weight gain shouldn't matter that much one way or another. After the first months of having the baby though, there really shouldn't be any excuse not to do your regular routine.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• As for the losing weight when pregnant I think it depends on if you are overweight before you got pregnant or not. If you are at a normal weight then no you shouldn't lose weight but if you are overweight (like I am) then losing some weight is fine as long as you are eating properly and not over taxing yourself. I lost several pounds the first few months but I gained the right amout for my weight without over doing it. Lots of women lose weight during the first few months because of morning sickness. I think that anyone with children will admit to being lazy sometimes and especially during the last couple of months of pregnancy you house can definatly get messy. I dont think you can say that people just let themselves go because they are lazy. It could be because they don't have the time to care for themselves because they are too busy taking care of the kids. Anywho, thats just my opinion! lol
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I do know some who use "eating for 2" as an excuse to indulge. Though to be honest I bet we all do on some occasions! Lol! As far as family and friends, the medical field is learning SO much more about weight gain or loss. It used to be standard - how much weight a person wud gain. Now they have learned that overweight people can gain nothing or even lose and the baby is just fine! Our loved ones want what is best for the baby, but don't always know what is best. They just think they do!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Women should gain weight during pregnancy. If you were overweight before pregnancy you should gain about 15-25 pounds, if you were a healthy weight before pregnancy you should gain about 25-37, if you were underweight before pregnancy you should gain 28-37 pounds.

It's not good to loose weight while pregnant. Some women don't gain much the first months because of nausia or vomiting.

I don't know what's wrong with you that you think it's health that you have lost weight during your pregnancy. If this is true your baby is at risk for developmental disabilities (birth defects), there may be problems with your placenta, your baby may be small for gestational age, and your baby is at risk for premature birth.

Oh course it's best to eat nutritious food during pregnancy.

Who are you to judge women who let themselves go during and after pregnancy and are too lazy to clean their house. You are starving your unborn baby!
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am eating healthy for the first time in my life and my metabolism is working correctly for the first time. My baby is measuring bigger than it should be at this point so i am healthy and i am NOT "starving my unborn baby"
    I asked a simple question on how you feel about people who let themselves go and you want to attack me you must be one of those lazy people!!!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well, you sholdn't try and loose weight. for me because I was at a healthy weight with both pregnancies for me to loose weight oucld have been very bad for me and the baby. Instead of looking at the weight gain or loss you need to be looking at what you eat. I=with my first I had a wonderful birthing instructer who looked at my diet and gave me tips on how to eat healthier. she told me that I needed a certain amount of protein, vit c etc. so I ended up adding things to my diet to stay healthy and have a healthy baby, as well as cutting out some things... like sugar. my second one I had a midwife and she was very insistant on what I ate and didn't... and I am very thankful for that because I was so healthy during my entire pregnancy and it really contributed to a wonderful labor and birth.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• She is not starving her baby!!! Some of us have plenty of stored fat. Lol. The baby gets the nutrients it needs and the we live off the stored fat. Lol! That's my theory. My babies have all been very healthy and the doctor has never been concerned. I am sure the doctor is monitoring the baby and making sure it is gaining as it should!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If I lost weight during my last pregnancy, my baby would have been in trouble. I was 100 lbs when I got pregnant and gained about 30. I lost it all afterward, within a few months. I was certainly not lazy during my pregnancy, I was a full time college student during and after my pregnancy. I know a lot of girls who have been on bedrest and have gained a lot of weight because of it. Another friend was sick from the day she got pregnant until the day her daughter was born. She would literally throw up 3-6 times a day, every day. She didn't gain hardly any weight, but she couldn't even do the dishes or cook because every little scent made her very sick.

I guess it's sad if some people just use pregnancy as an excuse to gain weight and be lazy I guess. But all the girls I have known that "let themselves go" had a really hard pregnancy.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It isn't right to judge!! I know plenty of women who have lost weight during their pregnancies and have had perfectly healthy children. They themselves were even healthier after the births of their babies than before they got pregnant! I was a normal weight and gained 40 pounds with my son. There isn't any perfectly normal range for every woman any more than there are perfect sizes of clothing for every woman!! To think otherwise is absolutely ridiculous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Being overweight is not healthy. At all. Pregnant or not. And it is better to lose weight BEFORE getting pregnant. You risk your baby's health by being overweight (diabetes, hypertension and other things).
    Yes, ppl take "eating for two" too seriously. Especially when its their first. I done it. Notice man y women gain the most with their first? I gained like 40! Eat healthy, with moderate exercise.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2009